Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default What to do?

We have two raised beds that are in prime real-estate for growing tomatoes in Fall. The beds interior dimensions are 3' x 12', so 3 tomato plants per bed.

One bed is to be planted from cuttings. It will be planted Sungold - Red Ambrosia - Sungold. It should look as good aesthetically as the tomatoes will taste. Red Ambrosia or Ambrosia Red is now our go-to sweet red cherry tomato. Sungold is Sungold.

That leaves one 3 x 12' bed. What to do? Pictures are of what is already growing there, but they are showing some signs of Summer - it's about time to pull them out. The last picture shows tomato plants in Solo cups. The ones that look almost too big for solo cups grew that large yesterday and especially overnight. They will be planted in-garden or in-raised bed today because they have outgrown their containers. The ones in the white basket are Pinky Blast - they are for experimenting with in the big garden. I'm going to plant them 18 inches apart to match the emitters on our drip irrigation system. They grow a 2' tall plant. I'm going to do the same thing with the Lime Green Salad plants that Worth sent seeds to us for. They are too small to play outside yet, so they are not in the pictures below.

These beds get limited amounts of sun, but do very well in the Fall. I'm just unsure of which ones to plant in the other raised bed. I want them to look good, but taste is just as important. They will be there until frost or freeze gets them. The problem is that we have never grown the varieties I can plant there. I could plant three different varieties of tomatoes or I have 3 each of these varieties:

Moravsky Div PL
Sugar Drop - has a spicy scent
Rumi Banjan
Rose Quartz Multiflora

What to do? Which one/s would you plant in the raised bed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0061.JPG (81.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0062.JPG (80.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0063.JPG (94.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0064.JPG (83.5 KB, 111 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Plant some spinach or lettuce.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #3
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Salt, if it was me, I'd pick 3 different ones, so I could experience all 3 varieties. Unfortunately, I've never grown any of those choices before, so can't recommend which 3.
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

All the varieties will be grown in either the raised beds or in our main garden. The main garden is 45' x 45' so there's room for whatever we choose to plant.

We are going to plant spinach and other greens for sure in the main garden.

For the raised bed that will be plated from cuttings Sungold - Ambrosia Red - Sungold, that is yellow, red, yellow.

I'm thinking about the other raised bed 3 feet away being planted: Rose Quartz - Sugar Drop - Rose Quartz, being red, yellow, red.

I think that would look good.
Old July 10, 2015   #5
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Maybe the Rumi Banjan would look good in the middle too. I like the look of the fruit, I looked at pics of it after you told me about it
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just make sure you sprout and grow your onion seeds this fall.
As for the tomatoes I cant help at all.
I never ever grow fall tomatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What to do?
Quote:
We have two raised beds that are in prime real-estate for growing tomatoes in Fall. The beds interior dimensions are 3' x 12', so 3 tomato plants per bed.
Good luck with your fall season.

I would/can plant 11 tomatoes in that bed in 2 staggered rows. Easily.
If I just wanted plant one row, still can plant minimum of 6 ( 2 ft spacing)..
In my world 4 sq-ft per plant ( 2f x 2ft) is pretty generous. If I had a big field I would do it differently but raised beds cost a lot to build and fill. YMMV

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

The Rumi Banjan sets a lot of fairly early fruit, and the plant itself should be bushy and quite attractive, of medium height. Personally, I'm not that fond of the taste, though.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #9
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
All the varieties will be grown in either the raised beds or in our main garden. The main garden is 45' x 45' so there's room for whatever we choose to plant.

We are going to plant spinach and other greens for sure in the main garden.

For the raised bed that will be plated from cuttings Sungold - Ambrosia Red - Sungold, that is yellow, red, yellow.

I'm thinking about the other raised bed 3 feet away being planted: Rose Quartz - Sugar Drop - Rose Quartz, being red, yellow, red.

I think that would look good.
I think that will present a very attractive picture
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriehelene View Post
Salt, if it was me, I'd pick 3 different ones, so I could experience all 3 varieties. Unfortunately, I've never grown any of those choices before, so can't recommend which 3.
I chose these three:
Sugar Drop - has a spicy scent
Rumi Banjan
Rose Quartz Multiflora

I thought about it all throughout the day yesterday, and what you replied fit in with what we are doing with our gardens this year. Trying new things is a huge part of learning, and this year is all about learning for us.

That also means that I will be planting the other raised bed differently. We all have been eating Sungold and Red Ambrosia for months now - it's time to give those a break. Besides, I've already successfully grown plants from cuttings. We have several other varieties growing in solo cups that are near ready to transplant into the remaining raised bed.

Siberian
Jaune Flammee
Mischka

I will get cuttings from the Sungold and Ambrosia Red plants today and get them started in solo cups filled with MG Potting mix. They will be planted out in our main garden. The biggest difference between the raised beds and the main garden is that the main garden has to be shaded in the summer due to intense direct sun and heat during the middle of the day. Whereas the raised beds are shaded by tall oak trees at the right times. Another nice thing is the raised beds are right outside of two windows at the end of our house.