Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 12, 2015   #1
HCWithAltitude
Tomatovillian™

Default Reliable source for Snow White cherry seeds?

All -

I'm hoping you can point me to a reliable source for Snow White Cherry seeds.

This is the second year that my white tomato plant isn't white. Last year I was excited to buy a substantial plant that was supposed to be a White Queen, but ended up being a Green Zebra like plant. This year my purported Snow White cherry is in the midst of producing something different. Not even close the being ripe, the tomatoes are significantly larger (maybe 1.2x - 1.4x) than a ping pong ball and are definitely not going to be pale.

Help!

HWA
HCWithAltitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #2
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Out of ignorance, is there a chance it was cross pollinated with something else?

Dan
Old July 12, 2015   #3
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusnexus View Post
Out of ignorance, is there a chance it was cross pollinated with something else?

Dan
Well the plant the seed came from, but sellers should test and also bag blossoms! Any cross pollination with HC's plants cannot change fruit.
Remember only the seed changes, not the fruit.
I'm growing Snow White for the first time and it is Snow White!
I got seeds here

Last edited by drew51; July 12, 2015 at 07:11 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Well the plant the seed came from, but sellers should test and also bag blossoms! Any cross pollination with HC's plants cannot change fruit.
Remember only the seed changes, not the fruit.
I'm growing Snow White for the first time and it is Snow White!
I got seeds here
Joe Bratka bred Snow White and also Ghost and Rabbit and one more I can't remember and all are about the same, and none of them are white as is also true for other white cherries and larger so called white ones.

The degree of whiteness depends on the degree of foliage cover, where grown since in the south the angle of the sun makes for more intense coloration, and also depends on the specific variety being grown.

I've grown many so called whites and the whitest one is White Queen, for me where I live, introduced by the Earl may Co in I think 1941.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

In the above link you'll see many seed sources and I can't see paying lots of money for this one so would suggest Remy's superb Sample Seed Shop or Pinetree Seeds.

Carolyn
Old July 12, 2015   #5
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Just to be clear I myself was not referring to color, only that the variety came true to seed from Tomatofest seeds.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I have grown both Snow White and its "sister" super Snow White. IMO super Snow White is the better of the two with larger meaty ivory cherries. Great flavour.
Pm me and I can send you some
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Our Snow White matured a pale yellow. I expected that because of the intense sunlight here. There was another difference, in cooler spring conditions, Snow White tasted sweet. As summer brought higher temperatures - the taste changed a lot. I thought of the taste as being slightly spoiled but still sweet.

I saved probably 500+ seeds from Snow White. As far as I can tell, they did grow true. If you would like, HCWithAltitude, I will send you some seeds in a couple weeks when they are dry.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote