Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 29, 2009   #1
Lamb Abbey Orchards
Tomatovillian™

Default First Potatoes in Maine

This was my first year of growing potatoes in the garden and I was a bit worried about potato beetles finding my plants. Fortunately, I think I got the potatoes into the ground a little late (the first weekend in June) and we had such a rainy June that the beetles must've been scared away.

Once the sun finally broke for a couple days at the end of the month, I noticed maybe a beetle or two per plant, knocked them off by hand, and sprayed an organic potato beetle insecticide once on all of the plants using a backpack sprayer, and never had another beetle. The plants look great now and quite healthy.

I planted six varieties--125 feet of each--for a total of 750 feet of potatoes. All seed potatoes were spaced 12" apart, giving me 750 plants.

The varieties I planted were:
  • Carola
  • GoldRush
  • German Butterball
  • Adirondack Red
  • Adirondack Blue
  • La Ratte (fingerling)
I've resisted the urge to dig up any new potatoes, and am looking forward to my first potato harvest this Fall. I'm thinking I should have enough to feed the family! Now I just need to figure out where and how I'm going to store everything. . .

John
Lamb Abbey Orchards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2009   #2
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

thats a lot of Poatoes. you need to keep a eye out for late blight its been hiting the poatoes up there maine vt nh mass conn. theres been some down here to in florida. wish you a good harvest paul
phicks48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2009   #3
Lamb Abbey Orchards
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Paul.

I'm keeping an eye out for late blight and am hoping I don't have to contend with that headache. I've not heard of any one dealing with it within my county so far.

John
Lamb Abbey Orchards is offline   Reply With Quote