Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 18, 2006   #1
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Default SOLDACKI ?

Hi...

I've seen several references to this variety. How has it performed in YOUR particular locale/ garden?
I'm "beginning to consider" it for my garden this year. Thanks....
Old February 18, 2006   #2
toni5735
Tomatovillian™

Hi Larry, I haven't grown Soldacki yet, but I did buy some seed from Gary Ibsen's Tomatofest and will be trying it this summer. My primary reason for trying it is b/c it's a Polish variety, like me. Silly, I know!

Toni
toni5735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #3
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Grew one this year and it was my most productive plant. Will be growing three of them next season. Great tomato, with great taste and good size.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Love it!

Ditto what Manto says. One of my faves, can handle heat and cold, huge plant, consistently loaded, strong and rewarding. Fruits crack at the stem end if left too long on the vine, but no worries, they taste great picked almost fully ripe and left to finish off indoors.

Just did five hours gardening, so a bit tired. But I wish I could show you my Soldacki at the moment. About 10ft tall, loaded with fruit, still going strong. I love Solodacki! Grub.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #5
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Default soldacki

grub , mantis.... thanks, mates! Soldacki looks like it just gained a slot on my list to grow.
Old February 19, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Larry,

As you probably know Soldacki is one that I introduced and many folks love it. For some it has some concentric cracking issues, but then many heirloom varieties do.

I can slip in a few seeds if you wish, with your others, although I can't remember off hand if they are fresh or older seeds.

And as I said in an e-mail to you, the few varieties you asked for will not be coming ASAP b'c for one of them it's still on plates and right now I'm NOT going to go sorting thru those 150 plates for just the one variety.

Folks, sorry, but this is not a general seed offer to all. If I have seeds to offer they would be offered in the area below for probably trades wanted, but I would definitely NOT want any trades in return for seeds. No way. And no offer this year , that's for sure. I'm still bummed out from offering over 300 varieties the past two years at GW and more recently sending several hundred to Israel for a research project and now doing SSE requests.
Old February 19, 2006   #7
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

carolyn.... I really appreciate your kind offer of SOLDACKI seeds along with the others you've promised. I did read about it in your book. And, as I said in an earlier personal e-mail, there's absolutely NO hurry for the seeds. I realize your work load as it already stands and that being further compounded by your on-going medical issues. So.. thanks again...
Old February 19, 2006   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I like Soldacki - is it better than any of 10 other large potato leaf pinks? Probably not, but it is also no worse...we are fortunate to have so many to choose from! Best thing to do is try a range of them and see which ones like your particular climate and garden the best.
Old February 20, 2006   #9
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Productivity

I agree with Craig. I don't think Soldacki tastes any better than a good large pink. But in respect of productivity and vigour in my garden, and fruit set in the height of summer, it far exceeds many other PL pinks, with perhaps the exception of Polish. But unlike Craig, I base my comments on just three consecutive seasons of growing OPs.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #10
toni5735
Tomatovillian™

Grub, I grew Polish last summer and also found it to be exceptional for both taste and production. Thought I would try some other polish varieties so that's why I'm trying Soldacki and Zogola this summer. Hopefully, they'll be just as tasty!
toni5735 is offline   Reply With Quote