Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2008   #1
kevokie
Tomatovillian™

Default Substitute for Cherokee Purple

Hello! I love Cherokee Purple tomatoes. They have such a great flavor. However, as we all know, they don't have much of a shelf life. I've had some sit on the counter for less than 24 hours and become bruised. They are soft anyways. With that said, would there be a comparable substitute for CP? I'm thinking along the lines of Black Krim or Black from Tula, but have never tried them. Maybe even Black Brandywine. So, what do you suggest, keeping with the "black tomato" theme of course?
kevokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I suggest Indian Stripe which is a presumed version of Cherokee Purple that was grown in geographic isolation for a long time in Arkansas. The original CP was from TN, at least that was the source of CP when John Green sent seeds to Craig.

A friend of mine found Indian Stripe in a garden in Arkansas where in that area it was called Indian Zebra or Indian Stripe.

Indian Stripe has slightly smaller fruits, more to the cluster and is slightly lighter in color.it seems to hold a bit better than does CP.

If you use the search feature at the top of the page there are many references to Indian Stripe.

It's pretty late to be starting seeds in most places now, but Sandhill Ppreservation does carry it and if you PM me your address I do have a few seeds left if you're at all interested.
Old April 12, 2008   #3
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

There is no substitute for CP !!! (my fav)

but, Black from Tula will do just fine and is a great choice.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2008   #4
goldpearl
Tomatovillian™

I really like Black Prince. Yummy and produces late into the year.
Old April 12, 2008   #5
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Indian Stripe would be my choice - http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/ind.../Indian_Stripe

Here is a list of other very good black tomatoes you can browse through and see what else is out there

http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/ind...Black_Tomatoes

Hope this helps,

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2008   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

For me, Carbon has been at least as good and maybe even better for production, size and taste. I have not paid much attention to "shelf life" because neither one sits around long enough to go bad.
Old April 12, 2008   #7
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Greg that Black from Tula "could be" a substitute.

Problem with that choice is Black from Tula doesn't have the same disease tolerance that Cherokee Purple has.

~ Tom

ps. other black tomatoes:

Black from Tula .................... Black Prince .................. Nyagous:

Last edited by Tomstrees; April 12, 2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: pic
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2008   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Vorlon".

80 days, indet., potato leaf plant with a high yield of 8-16 oz purple-black fruit with green shoulders and excellent flavor.

Or "JD's Special C-Tex".

80 days, indet., regular leaf, pink black beefsteak fruit, 12-20 oz, outstanding flavor, high yield.
Old April 12, 2008   #9
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Closest to Cherokee Purple from my experience are Black (from Alfrey - but there are other tomatoes named Black with great variation), Indian Stripe, JC Special CTex, Noire de Charbonneuse, Black from Tula, and Gary O'Sena. All of these are pink/blacks, or purples.
Old April 13, 2008   #10
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I would like to hear from those in the South which black/purple variety is the most productive. Conditions here are different from many especially once you get south of San Antonio. A productive good tasting variety would be something I would grow every year. CP hasnt been that productive for me but this year may be different. I got around 20 fruit from my lone plant last year and since it tastes so good, I could live with that. Same taste quality and more productive would be fantastic.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2008   #11
kevokie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the great suggestions! I will keep them in mind for next year, as this year has been a bust (long explanation).

On a side note, I can't say it enough, but ya'll are truly awsome with the wealth of info that is shared. Thank you!
kevokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2008   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
I would like to hear from those in the South which black/purple variety is the most productive. Conditions here are different from many especially once you get south of San Antonio. A productive good tasting variety would be something I would grow every year. CP hasnt been that productive for me but this year may be different. I got around 20 fruit from my lone plant last year and since it tastes so good, I could live with that. Same taste quality and more productive would be fantastic.
I'm growing several blacks this year and will let you know.

I have to add that the pictures of the nice blooms in the thread garden site #1

are CP and the other is Carbon.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2008   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Last year I got 30 Cherokee Purple off 1 plant. This year's CP plant has yet to set any fruit. Meanwhile 3 plants each of JD's Special C-Tex and Paul Robeson have each set at least 1 fruit -- one Paul Robeson has set 8.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2008   #14
duajones
Tomatovillian™

My CP seed source this year was Suze and Craig. I planted some from each of them. Craigs seed was a few years older but still germinated well, only a couple days later than the fresher seed from Suze. Both plants are on their way to being bigger plants than last years with much more side shoots and possibly more fruit. One has a little better spot early on and it has 10-12 set already and the other has 5-6. My CP fruit last year was mostly round instead of the beefsteak shape that you see in pictures, but the fruit was excellent. JD's is one of my smaller plants this year but is setting well. Paul Robeson is easily my biggest RL plant just behind STOW in size but is setting fruit much better. So I will have 3 blacks to compare this year and I am very much looking forward to it.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2008   #15
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

just as an FYI - there is a PL version of Cherokee Purple and we've found NO COMPLAINTS about it ... a must grow.

~ Tom

CP PL via Bill Malin NM:

Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote