Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2015   #1
gunrunner
Tomatovillian™

Default Maters won't ripen....too hot

Our heat and humidity here is terrible. Once it gets this hot the tomatoes refuse to ripen.
Do you have this problem, if so, how do you handle it?

Thanks
Mike
gunrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunner View Post
Our heat and humidity here is terrible. Once it gets this hot the tomatoes refuse to ripen.

Thanks
Mike
If you really think they are ready and it is too hot then pull them and bring them inside in the shade of the counter they will then get ripe with little or no loss of flavor.
They could be on the verge of sun scald it they aren't protected from the sun.

I have never had it be too hot for a tomato to get ripe.
worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #3
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

I have never had it be too hot for a tomato to get ripe.
worth
Me either. If it gets too hot the flowers won't set fruit, but what's already growing shouldn't be affected (except for sunburn on exposed 'maters).

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I noticed they don't quite ripen if they have insufficient water, but usually when it's hot they ripen faster (hot here might not be quite as hot as there, about 90F). Also lack of fertilizer, especially K, will delay ripening.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Gunrunner are you growing hybrids? Over the years and having tried just about every variety of disease resistant tomato trying to beat the nematodes and fusarium I found that certain hybrids were very slow to ripen when it got really hot. They would ripen much faster in the cooler spring and fall weather. They tended to be tomatoes that were called early by the vendors. I have not seen any heirlooms where that is the case and as a matter of fact just the opposite is true. When the real heat like we are having now get here it ends the chances of some of the larger varieties reaching their potential size because they start ripening too soon. I now only grow herlooms grafted onto very disease resistant rootstock and so I don't have to use those hybrids anymore.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #6
gunrunner
Tomatovillian™

Bill. Thank-you for info. Most of mine are betterboy. The are all large but no signs of turning yet. In doing a Google search everyone says they won't ripen well if air temp is above 85. It's well above that now. Do you think it would be good to continue to add fertilizer at this time? Also, should I cut back on water now?

Thanks again

Mike
gunrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #7
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

If tomatoes wouldn't ripen with greater than 85 degree temps, I'd never have one. I find they get smaller and the skin gets thicker the hotter it gets. Ripening time is about the same in my opinion. The good news is, in my opinion, the heat makes for a much more concentrated and delicious flavor that those grown in cooler climates.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The seeds may be developing at this stage.
I have tomatoes that hang on the vine for days without growth and then they start to ripen.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #9
JoParrott

Interesting subject- I too would never have ripe tomatoes if 85 was the limit ! Who is the "everyone" who say they won't ripen above 85? I would like to see a quote with sources.
Old June 16, 2015   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Bill. Thank-you for info. Most of mine are betterboy. The are all large but no signs of turning yet. In doing a Google search everyone says they won't ripen well if air temp is above 85. It's well above that now. Do you think it would be good to continue to add fertilizer at this time? Also, should I cut back on water now?

Thanks again

Mike
If you are growing a hybrid in a hot climate I can't think of a more reliable one than Big Beef and it is available everywhere. Try switching to it or even set a few out now for fall production. It is one of the better tomatoes setting fruit in unfavorably hot conditions and the taste is very good for a disease resistant hybrid.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Thanks again

Mike
I don't know about the not ripening part, just that once temps start hitting the mid 80's and up above especially the 90's and 100's we have now that they won't set fruit easily.

I have a few Betterboy's growing and mine are not turning yet. Plenty of fruits. Usually mine don't start to turn for another month or so. For me they take a long time to ripen which is why I only kept a few for myself this year. I just do the best I can to keep the plants healthy til they decide to ripen.

Because they take so long, that is probably why most of all the fried green tomatoes are from Better Boy. Folks get hungry and tired of waiting on them.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I have to agree that high temps don't affect ripening, at least that I have ever seen. Fruitset is the first thing hurt by high heat, and that varies a lot by variety. For example, a lot of Brandywines are notorious for not setting fruit in high heat.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #13
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

You can still fertilize with a low N high K fertilizer, it won't affect anything negatively. In fact I've found that such practices before ripening (like 2-3 weeks) will increase the taste of the tomato.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #14
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Thanks
Mike
When did you set out your tomato plants? That might help us with a timeline to see if they are really "late" or just business as usual.

Ripening of the first tomatoes does seem to take forever and I don't think it has much to do with heat.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote