Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2015   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default 'Grill' Cherry tomato

I found something in the supermarket that was surprisingly good. Normally, I do not buy tomatoes..( I prefer to wait for my own!) but these peaked my curiosity.
They were cherry tomatoes on the vine, marketed for grilling - the packet came with olive oil and spices ready to be thrown to the oven. But the cherry toms were way too tasty for grilling, instead I snacked on them and used them in a salad.
It would be a shame to put something so sweet on the grill - they were plump, juicy, sweet, and still very firm. Ideal for salads! For grilling, any sour tasting tomato will do just fine, the heat balances it out.
I wish I could find such firm and sweet cherries somewhere for growing... probably a Dutch bred variety. I knew better than save seeds from what probably was a commercial hybrid, but i wish i could find such great variety for homegrowing.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I found something in the supermarket that was surprisingly good. Normally, I do not buy tomatoes..( I prefer to wait for my own!) but these peaked my curiosity.
They were cherry tomatoes on the vine, marketed for grilling - the packet came with olive oil and spices ready to be thrown to the oven. But the cherry toms were way too tasty for grilling, instead I snacked on them and used them in a salad.
It would be a shame to put something so sweet on the grill - they were plump, juicy, sweet, and still very firm. Ideal for salads! For grilling, any sour tasting tomato will do just fine, the heat balances it out.
I wish I could find such firm and sweet cherries somewhere for growing... probably a Dutch bred variety. I knew better than save seeds from what probably was a commercial hybrid, but i wish i could find such great variety for homegrowing.
I agree probably Dutch bred and marketed by someone else who added the spices and olive oil but I wouldn't assume the cherries were F1 hybrids for the following reason,

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Green_Zebra_Cherry

Manfred Hahm was a friend of Reinhard Kraft in Germany and Manfred sells seeds for hundreds of varieties from Reinhard's website. Manfred saw a box of mixed cherries at a local store, told Reinhard he thought the striped ones looked special and they asked at the store where they came from and was told the Netherlands.And last I knew there were maybe 5 different companies there that bred tomatoes.

Seeds saved from those fruits gave the same small striped ones and the variety was perfectly stable. Reinhard listed it and since we traded seeds I asked for that one along with the others , SSE listed it and offered it in my seed offers here at Tville.

When I look at the history in the current SSE Yearbook, Neil L and Bill M also got theirs from Reinhard as well, and that was back in 2010 and several others got it from me.

I'm one who has never liked the taste of Green Zebra bred by Tom Wagner, but who absolutely LOVES the taste of GZ cherry.

All to say why don't you save seeds and see what you get for it too may be OP.

Carolyn
Old June 21, 2015   #3
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

That's interesting, Carolyn - about the GZ cherry.

Maybe I will save seeds, if I see those tomatoes again. Like many, I got limited space, and I don't have the energy or place for long-term experiments/ stabilizing efforts - the very same reason that people are adviced against saving Sungold seeds for grow-outs. (while some do and win the genetic lottery, it's not a given)

All to say, I am very glad that one can find tasty and delicious cherry toms in the local grocery store occasionally
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I agree with Carolyn. It never hurts to give seed saving a try. It's easy and it either works or it doesn't. Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

I posted the above before seeing your reply Narnian, but still, I personally would give it a chance.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 21, 2015 at 10:09 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote