Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 11, 2015   #1
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Default Cypress mulch or pine nuggets...or it doesn't matter?

After my false start with nasty dyed mulch...I don't want a do-over of having to clean up a mess. Any difference between pine or cypress mulches? I know I'm probably over thinking this *butt* too many times have I been corrected with "Oh, you didn't know? You never use X!" Also, what about cedar mulch?...Yeah, this is the bad part about living in the city, no woods to go scoop some up.

Last edited by Kikaida; June 11, 2015 at 03:49 PM.
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

If the mulch is make from bark, it does not matter. I use pine bark mulch/nugget.

But if it is shredded wood mulch i wont use it. Sapwood decompose (has live cells) but bark won't It might break down but that is different from composting.

Gardener.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2015   #3
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply, I'll look for some bark mulch.
Old June 12, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I absolutely despise pine bark mulch.
It is from years as a kid wading around in the smelly stuff working in a sawmill.
But I guess it will make a good mulch as long as a heavy rain wont float it off.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2015   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I understand your reason for the dislike.
But no rain water will/can float pine nuggets. They absorb water fast.
Pine nuggets are decorative too, with natural brown color.
I did put a layer of pine bark much ( fine crushed/chopped pine bark) Then I sprinkled a layer of small barks. With $10 worth, I mulched about 100 sqr-ft, that 10 cents per sqr-ft. That does not include my couple of hours time in a hot sunny day .
Old June 13, 2015   #6
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

I found pine bark mulch today! No dye or other filler, just good dark bark. I'll apply it after I water them up tomorrow in preparation for possible 100 degree weather coming our way next week.
Old June 14, 2015   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

I've used pine straw to great advantage over bark mulches as the pine straw (needles) wont float away or move about in a storm.

I've also used cypress needles harvested in autumn, but they rot more quickly than pine needles. However, due to cypress needle texture, they lock together into a tighter mat than pine needles, so that can be an advantage.

When using forest mulches in their pre-composted state, remember to add a little limestone and nitrogen to compensate for acid gain and nitrogen rob.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #8
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I've used pine straw to great advantage over bark mulches.

I've also used cypress needles harvested in autumn, but they rot more quickly than pine needles. However, due to cypress needle texture, they lock together into a tighter mat than pine needles, so that can be an advantage.

When using forest mulches in their pre-composted state, remember to add a little limestone and nitrogen to compensate for acid gain and nitrogen rob.
Very much agree. If bark or chip mulches are your only option for some reason then they better than no mulch at all. But they are primarily decorative mulches best used for flower beds and far from ideal for the vegetable garden.

Any of the pre-composted organics such as straw, hay, grass, pine straw, etc. are are more effective at both moisture control and weed suppression. Plus they have the added benefits of improving your soil and providing nutrients to the plants as they decompose.

The best quality garden mulch does not come in a bag.

Dave
digsdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was riding around in a fancy subdivision down the street a few years ago and saw huge piles of pine straw/needles in some peoples yard.
I stopped and well long story short the next day I hauled off a whole truck load of the stuff.
I just knocked on the door and asked if I could have it they put it all in bags and set it out for me to pick up.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I'm about to mulch my just planted bean raised bed with pine needles (free for the raking from a neighbor). For tomatoes I bought pine bark (not nuggets) from Lowes. The price increased for $3.98 to $4.98 this past week. That is quite a jump in price. My first year using it on vegetables.

Peppers are mulched in straw/mulch whatever is on hand.
I also have "living mulch" (cover crop) in the brassica bed. It's getting somewhat difficult to work with.

-Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, down south , GA where I used to live, pine straw (needle) is the number one landscaping mulch choice. It lasts one season. My garden was next to a wooded area and I cook rake as much as I needed. Never bough any mulch while gardening down there.
But Up here (PNW) there no no pines and so no needles . But they sell pine bark .
I use it as splash prevention and it is decorative too. If you apply a thick layer it can serve as real mulch Weed prevention, moisture retention)

Gardeneer
Old June 15, 2015   #12
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

With 100 degrees slated for the rest of this week, didn't have too much of a choice. I capped off everyone with pine bark....So as far as the lime stone goes, gotta get a line on that.