Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Out With the Old

An old oak tree died last year. We chained it down to fall in a certain area. Most of the branches had already fallen off, so today, my brother cut it with a chainsaw and we pulled it down with the tractor. The pictures say the rest.

This is the area that we will plant fruit trees now. and Worth, there's room for apricots too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0065.JPG (70.9 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0066.JPG (75.8 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0067.JPG (82.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0068.JPG (96.9 KB, 177 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I always like looking at the growth rings and counting them.
I also like looking at the rings to see the different years and the amount of growth.
Like you can go back to the drought years and see it with your own eyes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

When I read the thread title.....Out With The Old.....I thought you were going to suggest that the oldest active Tville members be thrown out of Tville.

All I'm saying is that I, being one of the older active members, am not going yet.

Carolyn
Old July 10, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
When I read the thread title.....Out With The Old.....I thought you were going to suggest that the oldest active Tville members be thrown out of Tville.

All I'm saying is that I, being one of the older active members, am not going yet.

Carolyn
I thought he was pulling older tomato plants.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn
Carolyn, you're staying

After I thought of the title, I thought you all might think old tomato plants too. But no, a big eye soar of a dead tree. I sure am glad it is down. Our main garden is around 40' to the side of that tree, so I saw it every time I went out to the garden. It's going to take days to burn that stump out.
Old July 10, 2015   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

While I'm not one of the oldest members, I'm still not letting anyone count my growth rings.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I thought he was pulling older tomato plants.

Worth
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
While I'm not one of the oldest members, I'm still not letting anyone count my growth rings.
Me either.

Salt ... If your clever with a saw and a sander and some varnish, you can make some lovely little garden art, benches, small wooden planters and such from the wood. Oak makes some lovely furniture like end tables and such for sitting around the garden areas.

Always sad when a tree comes down, but especially Oaks since they take so long to grow.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #8
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Glad yall got it down Robert. Now you have more area to garden
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Paul, yes we do. The area is a small hill of about 1' of blow-sand covering clay that has sand burrs (We call them, "Stickers") https://www.google.com/search?q=Sand...Fc41iAoduFAFTQ

I would guess the area to be 40' x 70'. Yes we will have to do something about those stickers (Sand Burrs). Last year, I did something about the blow-sand. I dug out 3' wide holes at 2' deep. I added all kinds of compost and organic material and watered those areas all throughout summer. The soil there is now friable.

When we dig up and burn out the stump of the tree, I have used vegetable oil saved to burn those stickers all around it. I'll be adding leaves and smaller sticks to the fire, and eventually till in the ashes. My idea is to be as organic as I can be without it costing an arm and leg. The places we want to plant fruit trees will be organically amended at a very low cost. Some 10-10-10 wouldn't hurt.

That is how I am turning useless blow-sand and clay into soil. The same things I did to our garden. I believe in a saying that I made up for myself while trying to fight the RSD disease. "When life deals you limes - Make Margaritas - use Mas Tequila.
Old July 10, 2015   #10
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I believe in a saying that I made up for myself while trying to fight the RSD disease. "When life deals you limes - Make Margaritas - use Mas Tequila.

Now thats a great saying my brother! I could use a few Margaritas too. That will be great to have your own orchard! I have wanted one for a long time myself. Those sand burrs are awful, we have them too. You have a good plan Robert. That will work.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #11
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

the tree line in my back yard is awesome considering I live in a suburban area. we have a bout 10 white oaks in various sizes the largest is probably 40 to 50ft. In between these were the weathered, hollowed out stumps of their predecessors. when clearing my back patio area of some azaleas instead of cutting them down I dug up the root balls and planted them in the hollowed out stumps. They seem to be doing great.
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote