Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 12, 2015   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default Feeding: In ground vs. containers

The last 3 years I have become pretty dialed-in on growing my container tomatoes. My results have been good with watering daily and feeding often. Now, I constructed a raised bed in February...and have 6 maters growing there. The plants have produced fine...but it seems like they are pooping out a bit. Originally, I composted the soil well and even added organic fert to the soil mix. Should I be fertilizing periodically in this raised bed? Is synthetic ferts like MG OK...or should I stick to organic? thanks for advice
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I personally feed mine about every 7 to 10 days and the results are far better than when I did it every 6 weeks or so. I build up my soil and add lots of amendments but feeding every week with Texas Tomato Food has resulted in far healthier and more productive plants. When I first found feeding weekly gave me better results I was using Miracle Grow but when I tried TTF the results were astounding especially in regards to fruit set. TTF is a more natural product than MG and I like the balance of nutrients in it better, particularly for tomatoes and peppers. I will still use MG sometimes when I'm out of TTF but for me the results are just better with TTF.

A lot of people will tell you not to feed them if you have enough amendments and healthy soil but I found that with a long growing season that just wasn't enough. Since you live in Ca. I assume you also have a long growing season so it might be wise to feed them regularly. You could experiment and only feed half of them and see if it makes a big difference or not.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

great response Bill...thanks. I actually used TTF early in the season (May)...but I was not seeing anything as great as what others reported. Maybe TTF really shines when the fruit is hanging...dunno.
Old July 12, 2015   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

If you have mastered growing in containers, then growing in raised beds should come easy.
Raised bed, n a way is just a very big bottomless container. Depending on the filling, it may take a season or two to get it established. My raised beds are 3 years old now and getting there.
Early in the season (before plant out) I amend and mix in some all purpose granulars like 16-16-16. During the growth time i feeds almost continuously BUT with 1/4 to 1/3 regular strength.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #5
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I am happy that I have learned enough in 3 years to grow successfully in containers. Problem is...I am a slow learner.