Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 25, 2015   #1
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Default Abakanskiy Rozovyi Red or Pink?

This is my first year growing these - I received the seeds in a trade with someone in France.

I'm hoping someone else here is growing it and can help out. I don't want to save seeds and share for a mis-identified or crossed tomato.

While they do look pink the epidermis is definitely yellow. I was wondering if this is one of those situations where a tomato color was identified visually and the epidermis wasn't ever checked.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
This is my first year growing these - I received the seeds in a trade with someone in France.

I'm hoping someone else here is growing it and can help out. I don't want to save seeds and share for a mis-identified or crossed tomato.

While they do look pink the epidermis is definitely yellow. I was wondering if this is one of those situations where a tomato color was identified visually and the epidermis wasn't ever checked.
Tania's site is not loading right now so I went to Google and did find good info and here's the general Google search first;

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...Rozovyi+tomato

And I selected just one of the links since it's from a french seed site and you said above it was a trade from france:

http://www.semeur.fr/wiki/index.php?...anskiy_rozovyi

Pat, I don't know what's up with the yellow epidermis you saw since I did check several of the links in the Google Search and all said pink and the French site also had a picture of pink fruits. But we do know now that the layer under the epidermis also contributes to at least exterior color.

All to say that when I was checking epidermis colors b/c I wasn't sure if red or pink, I had to be careful to be sure I had nothing on my fingers that would alter what I saw, not referring to you at all but I've been known to be nibbling on this and that a lot, whether here at the computer, watching TV tennis,reading a book (horrows on that for staining pages) and well, you get the picture.

Carolyn
Old July 25, 2015   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn. The epi came off in a long strip rather easily and I saw immediately that it was yellow before I ever handled it. I'll just chalk it up to crossed/mislabeled seed.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote