Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2015   #1
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Default Blossom drop

My veggie garden tomatoes are experiencing significant blossom drop, it is an unusual event and I am at loss. Yes, weather was rainy but no changes for few tomatoes I have by the house.
Did usual amendments for the soil- kelp, azomite, fish bone meal during planting, inoculation of mycorrhizae, compost tea, some foliar sprays with Neptune products/ EM . Soil was adjusted from soil test last year.
Temps were reasonable, few nights low 50 but mostly good range. Lots of rain but not unusual for Chicago June.
TTF weekly applications.
Soil top dressed with home compost and straw, well moist under, raised bed. Lots of hair roots, worms are probably as good as they going to get with twice a year tilling.
Plenty of pollinators- some bumble bees and lots of really small ones. Open field, windy.
Plants did not have good green color and were not shooting side shoots in every direction so no nitrogen abuse. Adjusted some to better color now. Had to use Chickity Doo organic chicken dry fert 5-3-2 added around plants because leaf coloring remained subpar, possibly from all this rain...
What else I am possibly missing?
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's all the rain.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like too much feeding, to me.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #4
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer, what would too much feeding look like on a plant?
Old June 22, 2015   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

If you have been having a lot of rain the nitrogen gets leached out and tomatoes will get quite pale looking. If that has happened they do need some more nitrogen. Chicken should do the trick. I use Texas Tomato Food weekly and get really good fruit set except when I let the plants dry out too much to get better tasting fruit when it is ripening time. The temperatures you are talking about should result in good fruit set if fertilizer and water needs are met.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Gardeneer, what would too much feeding look like on a plant?
I don't know all the visual signs of plants in case of blossom drop.
But I read so many fertilizing description in your post that gave me the impression that maybe you have been fertilizing too much, w/ too many things.

Quote:
Did usual amendments for the soil- kelp, azomite, fish bone meal during planting, inoculation of mycorrhizae, compost tea, some foliar sprays with Neptune products/ EM . Soil was adjusted from soil test last year.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Might give them a kelp drench/spray and some compost tea to help with stress.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #8
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I don't know all the visual signs of plants in case of blossom drop.
But I read so many fertilizing description in your post that gave me the impression that maybe you have been fertilizing too much, w/ too many things.

Gardeneer
Hey Linda!

If you were overfeeding N your leaves would be a very deep/dark green, coincided with explosive leaf growth, excessively thick stems and/or burn (less likely with the organic nutes you're using - apart from the bonemeal).. I highly doubt you overfed, especially considering your main source of N was kelp meal, and it isn't too potent (commonly 1-0-2).. What was your spread rate? Did you broadcast it, or amend each planting hole? I'm with alittlesalt, it's probably all the rain.. hopefully when it dries up some and we got on with a "normal" summer they'll start to set fruit for ya.. Is it very hot out there?
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #9
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Thank you much for suggestions! It is learning experience for me.
I hear you on the rain, it is sure more than usual. Hard to say though, as to compare apples and oranges but few tomatoes I have by the house and my perennial garden are not missing a beat and have business as usual. Actually my first Kimberley is 2 days away from being fully ripe...no blossom drop, plants are loaded etc.
I finally got green color corrected...yeah, they got compost tea and compost extract and foliar spray.
Mike, no nothing like that I was observing. Short, off green, poor side shoots- thus heavy artillery of chicken poop came in LOL. It reported to be organic and is OMRI listed, when wet, looks like exactly chicken poop and stinks to high heaven. Very lovely stuff.
Kelp, azomite, fish meal all applied to he planting holes.
Gardeneer, except Texas Tomato food, rest of my added components all require heavy biology to be used by plants which probably still in low numbers... so am thinking while available, it was not truly avail... my soil gets tilled by village twice a year, no possibility of winter cropping and have to build my raised beds every year...
For foliar I use 1 tsp of fish hydrolyze and 1 tsp of kelp for 1000 sq feet every 10 days or so... while it is possible to overdo it, do not think I did.
Pretty much same deal like last year in applications- but last year spectacular results and this year huge blossom drop.... whaaa... LOL
Old June 23, 2015   #10
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Thank you much for suggestions! It is learning experience for me.
I hear you on the rain, it is sure more than usual. Hard to say though, as to compare apples and oranges but few tomatoes I have by the house and my perennial garden are not missing a beat and have business as usual. Actually my first Kimberley is 2 days away from being fully ripe...no blossom drop, plants are loaded etc.
I finally got green color corrected...yeah, they got compost tea and compost extract and foliar spray.
Mike, no nothing like that I was observing. Short, off green, poor side shoots- thus heavy artillery of chicken poop came in LOL. It reported to be organic and is OMRI listed, when wet, looks like exactly chicken poop and stinks to high heaven. Very lovely stuff.
Kelp, azomite, fish meal all applied to he planting holes.
Gardeneer, except Texas Tomato food, rest of my added components all require heavy biology to be used by plants which probably still in low numbers... so am thinking while available, it was not truly avail... my soil gets tilled by village twice a year, no possibility of winter cropping and have to build my raised beds every year...
For foliar I use 1 tsp of fish hydrolyze and 1 tsp of kelp for 1000 sq feet every 10 days or so which goes over 70 tomato plants, bed of peppers and bed of zukes/cukes... while it is possible to overdo it, do not think I did.
Pretty much same deal like last year in applications- but last year spectacular results and this year huge blossom drop.... whaaa... LOL

Last edited by Lindalana; June 23, 2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old June 25, 2015   #11
Timomac
Tomatovillian™

Lindalana,

It's been so wet here in Chicago very few of my blossoms have been setting. It stands to reason that if pollen is powdery, the rain and humidity is interfering with pollination, and the blossoms fall off after not pollinating.

So I thought I'd try and help and try the electric toothbrush buzz pollination trick. I started a few weeks back. I have a bunch of sets now. Did it actually work? I didn't leave a control, undisturbed group to test so I can't say for sure.

I think the excessive, record-setting rain here is the main problem.
Timomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #12
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Blossom drop is a symptom of nitrogen overfertilization and temperature swings. It sounds like you already ruled this out.

If blossoms fail to pollenate that will also cause them to drop but you have pollinators. You can ensure pollination with an electric toothbrush. Just turn it on and let it shake the back of each flower. I know it's a hassle but it works (it's how I grow tomatoes indoors). I don't think that's your problem but you can try it.

Can you post some pictures? I suspect it's a micronutrient deficiency.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #13
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timomac View Post
Lindalana,

It's been so wet here in Chicago very few of my blossoms have been setting. It stands to reason that if pollen is powdery, the rain and humidity is interfering with pollination, and the blossoms fall off after not pollinating.

So I thought I'd try and help and try the electric toothbrush buzz pollination trick. I started a few weeks back. I have a bunch of sets now. Did it actually work? I didn't leave a control, undisturbed group to test so I can't say for sure.

I think the excessive, record-setting rain here is the main problem.
LOL I'm not the only one using this trick apparently.

Yes, it works. I've grown tomatoes indoors with no pollinators (or bugs for that matter) doing this.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #14
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Am coming to conclusion it is localized environmental phenomena.
My plants near house doing well despite IL setting historical record for June in rain. My seedlings given to other people doing well.
Something or other - moisture retention of soil, too open field increases cold for nights, too little or too much drainage set plants up for failure.
This also was first year when potatoes did not bloom.
Old June 30, 2015   #15
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that when it rains very hard the blossoms come off from the, er, water pressure. Mine have been setting well. Then last night it rained hard and five blossoms fell off one pepper plant. My determinate cherry, which was loaded, had quite a few yellow blossoms lying around it that were fine yesterday.

All this darn rain creates such an unhealthy environment for fungal crud, on my tomatoes and my basil. And all the cloudy cool weather means the disease spores don't get fried by UV rays. It kind of bums me out. Although, so far, the rain has largely stayed out of my basement. Good so far but another source of anxiety!

PS Also really enjoying all the attention from the lovely swarms of mosquitoes!

Last edited by Bipetual; June 30, 2015 at 01:02 AM.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote