Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 13, 2010   #1
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

Default VOTE: A Good Mix?

Option A) 1/2 Coconut Coir, 1/2 Perlite
Option B) 1/3 Peat Moss, 1/3 Perlite, 1/3 Vermiculite
Option C) 1/2 Peat Moss, 1/4 Perlite, 1/4 Vermiculite

Which one would you choose and why?

The objective is to create an inert organic growing medium for "hydroponic" (by definition since the nutrients are provided via water) hand watering. All nutrients supplied by watering with registered organic solution (Liquid Earth, for now).
Old April 13, 2010   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

jack,

I don't think there is one universal answer. It depends on your local climate, amount of rainfall during the Season, and other variables. I had success in both the EarthTainers and commercial EarthBox with a 3:2:1 ratio of potting mix, bark fines, and perlite. However, I am still experimenting this Season with variants of these ratios.

One thing I do know, Cactus Mix, Turface, and Redwood Compost have been eliminated in my SWCs as they have not produced favorable results. If you have multiple containers, I would try a couple of different ratios.

Regarding your question on Perlite ratio, I would stay in the range from 15% to 20% as a target. Your option "A" of 50% would simply have the plants falling over as you would have no stability of your Mix with this high a ratio.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2010   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I have never been a big fan of vermiculite. In wet conditions it compresses very easily and loses its primary ability of providing air space.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2010   #4
ruet
Tomatovillian™

I used a 50-50 Peat Perlite "Fluffy" mix for starting seeds this year and was very happy with the results. My tomatoes have been in this mix since the last week of February and they look healthy and strong. This weekend half will be going into a 3-2-1 mix and half into 3-1-1 version of the same mix: Limed Peat/Hydroton/Perlite mix in 13 Gallon SWCs.
ruet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2010   #5
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

None of the above.
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2010   #6
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Isn't "B" the Classic Cornell Mix?

Must be a different mix but it looked familiar.

I have a page of different mixes, including recalculating formulas. Some, like Mel's Mix, you put in how many gallons you need to make and it recalculates all the ingredients.

The top half of the page is a volume calculator/converter, it's especially helpful for raised beds where you plug in the dimensions and it calculates wet & dry gallons needed.

http://mysite.verizon.net/~korney19/soilmixes.htm

ANY GREEN OR YELLOW CELLS YOU CAN CHANGE and the related cells will recalculate!

For example, the Standard Veggie Mix, change cell E59 to however many gallons you want to make and it will recalculate how much compost, peat, perlite, sand and fertilizer is needed!

You may need to install MS Office Web Components plug-in if you don't have MS Office as the page is MS Excel based.

There are a couple dozen soil formulas included. Any questions just ask.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by korney19; April 13, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2010   #7
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
None of the above.

Care to elaborate?
Old April 13, 2010   #8
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
I have a page of different mixes, including recalculating formulas. Some, like Mel's Mix, you put in how many gallons you need to make and it recalculates all the ingredients.
Very nice! thanks!
Old April 13, 2010   #9
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Regarding your question on Perlite ratio, I would stay in the range from 15% to 20% as a target. Your option "A" of 50% would simply have the plants falling over as you would have no stability of your Mix with this high a ratio.
Good point. The idea would be to create a light mix to move around the pots easily. However, I see your point. Even dwarf tomatoes need good support. How about 2/3 Coir and 1/3 Perlite? Perhaps 3/4 Coir and 1/4 Perlite? When I put the mix together I think I'll find that 50% Perlite just doesn't look/feel right, so I will adjust accordingly.
Old April 13, 2010   #10
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
I have never been a big fan of vermiculite. In wet conditions it compresses very easily and loses its primary ability of providing air space.
I've just recently given it a shot. It's much smaller than I thought it would be, and I can't imagine it holds water well, but in relation to its size I guess it can? I use it for seed starting now to keep seeds moist and I will probably try it again later, but for now I'm trying to get a good simple mix for start to finish.
Old April 13, 2010   #11
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruet View Post
I used a 50-50 Peat Perlite "Fluffy" mix for starting seeds this year and was very happy with the results. My tomatoes have been in this mix since the last week of February and they look healthy and strong. This weekend half will be going into a 3-2-1 mix and half into 3-1-1 version of the same mix: Limed Peat/Hydroton/Perlite mix in 13 Gallon SWCs.
I'll save Hydroton for when I move to a full hydroponic setup, so for now I'm wokring with Coir and Perlite. No Bark or Sand at all. I have only a few containers and am going for quality.
Old May 24, 2010   #12
djmarler
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Isn't "B" the Classic Cornell Mix?

Must be a different mix but it looked familiar.

The top half of the page is a volume calculator/converter, it's especially helpful for raised beds where you plug in the dimensions and it calculates wet & dry gallons needed.

http://mysite.verizon.net/~korney19/soilmixes.htm

ANY GREEN OR YELLOW CELLS YOU CAN CHANGE and the related cells will recalculate!

For example, the Standard Veggie Mix, change cell E59 to however many gallons you want to make and it will recalculate how much compost, peat, perlite, sand and fertilizer is needed!

You may need to install MS Office Web Components plug-in if you don't have MS Office as the page is MS Excel based.

There are a couple dozen soil formulas included. Any questions just ask.

Hope this helps.
Can't oppen this page. Help
djmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010   #13
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Is it saying you need to download any plugins or what is happening when you click on the link?

I just clicked on it and it opened without any problems. Click on the attached thumbnail to see a sample pic, but you really need to install the MS Office Web components or plugins if necessary because you need to use the scroll bars on the embedded spreadsheet to see another dozen or two soil mix formulas. Not to mention any yellow or green cells you can change the #s and it will automatically recalculate the ingredient quantities needed!

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture_6.jpg (195.5 KB, 27 views)
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote