Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 17, 2010   #1
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Default Earthtainers, transition from spring to fall. Cleaning?

My spring crops are toast and I took them down this a.m. (I'm going to do a photo post of this year later). Wonderfully successful...my most tomatoes ever and my first time in any containers, FYI. My question is, since they all had disease, early blight, possibly other fungal diseases, and some insects (pretty well controlled with BT),what process is recommended for cleaning up the tainer for the fall planting? I'm thinking a bleach spray on the cages. If so, what strength? How much down time before I can plant in them again with bleach spray on top? Will cooking them in Texas sun for a day or more be helpful in disease death?

How about the soil prep? I took out the root balls, but I think I'll leave it in place and just do more fertilizer, and top it off with 3,2,1 mix. Probably a drench with Mycos and actinovate upon planting.

Basically, my concern is how to avoid contaminating these new plants that are disease free when going back into the same container? I know that is impossible to guarantee this, but what are my best options?

Thanks much.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2010   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne,

Glad to hear you had a "Happy Experience" growing in EarthTainers this Season. So many others (including myself) are really being hit with insects and fungal diseases this year. Big Beef is a real Trooper this Season, and I would highly recommend you all consider growing a few of these next Season, if you expect to be hit with disease. This pair of Big Beef are over 8 feet tall at the moment, and are growing like weeds - no fungal disease of any significance:

I think your procedure above will work fine, and I do agree that leaving them out in the Texas Sun for a few days ought to help. Just remember that your Combo Mix is likely to completely dry out, and you will need special attention to get the EarthTainer to properly re-wick again in the Fall.

As the 3:2:1 Combo Mix is "soiless" you shouldn't have a high risk of disease being residual in the Mix, and adding in one-third new Combo Mix when replanting should give the new plants for Fall a good environment. Remember to add Dolomite Lime back in (I would think 2 Cups would be fine, as there should be some residual in the remaining two-thirds of the Combo Mix). Add in one Cup of Espoma BioTone Starter fertilizer (or equivalent) and re-do the two fertilizer strips.

I am having a lot of fun with cucumbers, and you may want to try some for laughs as these puppies really grow fast.

Snow Peas in Fall in Texas would be another good vegetable to grow. I am going to grow them again, over-wintering as I did last year.

Have Fun!!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2010   #3
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Raybo, so glad you saw this and got me on the right track! Anyone know what ratio of bleach to water is considered typical in this type application? Figured to spray it on the cages and no doubt some is going to leech into the soiless mix, but I think that should be kept to a minimum, right?

Those Big Beef's look awsome! Yup, disease is usually an issue here, at least for me. Containers extended that life compared to in ground plants, fyi. No other fall veggies for me with this being my only tomato source, but those look great, as do your peppers. More on your latest thread/pics.

Jerry
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2010   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne,

I would think a 10% bleach-to-water ratio would be effective.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote