Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.
|
|
November 19, 2007 | #1 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Cross question
Hello
From this year on, i have my one tomato variety. It's a yellow cherry tomato that grows 2 meter high and gives fruits like grapes. I can eat 3 to 4 kg of 1 plant! The taste is very sweet... But now i have some questions: First, how can i release the tomato variety? What's the procedure for that? And do you guys have some ideas for a name? Kind regards and sorry if the message is not so clear.... Angelo |
November 19, 2007 | #2 |
Tomatovillian™
|
(name)
Goldbeard?
November 19, 2007 | #3 |
Tomatovillian™
|
how about yellow angel?
|
November 19, 2007 | #4 |
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator
|
Angelo,
Gele zon België sounds classy. Translated loosely as the Yellow Sun of Belgium
|
November 20, 2007 | #5 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Hello
Gele zon van Belgie is lovely Thanks for your reply Tom Wagner! If you have other name's, please post them here Tonight (Belgium time) i will post a picture of the fruits... Kind regards and thanks allot! Angelo |
November 20, 2007 | #6 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Good evening everyone
Here's a picture of my tomato: I have a few ideas for a name...they are still welcome Sweet yellow (i think i want to take a English name) Yellow Sweety Some other ideas? Kind regards from Belgium Angelo |
November 20, 2007 | #7 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Hello,
I have already a website http://www.vergetengroenten.be (Dutch) There i will sell tomato seeds within a few moth's Kind regards Angelo |
November 20, 2007 | #8 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Good looking cluster. They look more gold
than yellow to me, but that could be the lighting in the picture. Perhaps "Gold Doubloon"? (Like the old Spanish doubloons, a gold coin from the era when tomatoes were first brought to Europe from the New World on tall ships.)
November 21, 2007 | #9 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Hello,
Yes, when they are ready to eat , than they are yellow. But gold is also possible. The picture is a little bit dark. Gold Doubloon looks very nice to me Kind regards from Belgium Angelo |
November 21, 2007 | #10 |
|
Angelo,
I know you want an English name for your tomato, but I couldn't pass up these old style Flemish naming conventions. I took a lot of liberties to hybridize the names with yellow, sun and Belgium. My apologies if I have butchered your language in any way. Tom Aanblazenzon sun blow. Flemish Aantrekkelijk Geel attracting yellow. Afzaeij: to harvest his last seeded crop Affixie met Zon: attachment with sun Aerdgange: terrain, region, as a fully considered part of a larger part Ampelzon: ample sun Assisteren: assist Baetae Belgie: Holy Belgium Balije van Belgie: a part of an order of knighthood of Belgium Bloedtwegen: family ties Convidenten met het zon: copartners with the sun Coramzon: in the presence of, before me the sun Croiserendegeel: increase, growth of yellow Croissengele: interest of yellow Desisteren het zon: let go, to relinquish the sun something Dienendeangelo: one who is at the moment in charge, ie. Angelo Douarieregeel : sun title for widow of nobility, but not benefiting of the income of a widow's dowry or jointure Dukaatzon: golden mint of 2.5 grams of sun Emanerenzon: outgoing, come out, flow out of the sun Emphitensie: hereditary tenure, long lease Feeëriekzon elfin sun Finalijk met het zon: finally, lastly with the sun Flemish geel yellow. Geledengeel: tolerated, acknowledged yellow Gelegenheid van Belgie occasion, occurrence.from Belgium Gelukkig nieuw geel Happy New Yellow. Gelijckegeel: everyone, everything yellow Gepasseertgeel: ago, passed, in the pasta yellow Giftegeel or gichtegeel: gift of yellow Hac van zon: on this side of the sun Herbaene van Belgie: highroad, route of Belgium Hoirtomaat: tomato heirs, descendants in direct line Itaestgeel: so it is yellow Lafelijk Belgie: richly Belgium Lauderen Belgie: to praise Belgium Meergeldinge: higher yield than former bid Meriterengeel : earn yellow Moije Belgie: mother Belgium Momboir van Zon: guardian of the sun Naderling Geel nearest blood relative to yellow Palmslaghzon: handshake to seal a sale to the sun Paratezon: immediate sun Possessie: possession Presens: in the presence of Provenierende: arising from Reitereren: repeat, restart Sonderlinge: especially Touchte, toechte: usufruct, reap the fruits of Uligh: intentional, deliberate Verbant: pact Vergelden: pay, reward, reciprocate Zielen: souls, people |
November 21, 2007 | #11 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Hi Tom,
I just wondered, where did you get these old flemish words, (they must be old because I don't know over half of them). Angelo, nice looking tomato. I do think you should give it an English name, using a Flemish name will lead to all sort of translations, English, French,.. and the confusion begins all over again, Frank |
November 21, 2007 | #12 | |
|
orflo,
Quote:
My final choice for a suggestion to the naming of Angelo's tomato is as follows, first in Luxembourgisch and then English. d'Fräiheetssonn or Freedom's Sun |
|
November 21, 2007 | #13 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I would absolutely use a distinctive name. Not "Sweet Yellow", etc. For instance "Isis Candy" is a very distinctive name. I will never forget it. Also Jaune Flamme (yellow flame).
December 5, 2007 | #14 |
Tomatovillian™
|
[re: "Gold Doubloon"]
There seems to already (or almost already, I don't know what generation it is) a "Doubloon" cultivar: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=6897 Perhaps you could get together via email and flip a coin as to who keeps the name. Alternate possibilities: Inca Gold, Treasure Chest, Gold Coin, Gold Sovereign, etc.