Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old June 21, 2006   #1
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting Fall Seeds In Georgia.

Well Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus, seems to be getting the better of almost all my tomatoes. So I am going to try a first for me.

Starting seeds in summer for a fall harvest. I know that IMISSCOLO started hers a couple weeks ago. Does anyone have any suggestions as to good type or varieties to plant?

I currently have: Siberian, Momotoro, SFT, Cherokee Purple, Black From Tula, Persimmon, Brandywine (Sudduth), Dr. Carolyn white, coyotee, Mariannes Peace, Stump of the world, Grubs Green and I couple others I can't remember right now.

I am defiantely going to grow Siberian since it can flower even in 45 degree weather. So I will experiement with it in Georgia climate, since we rarely get below that in South GA.

I am also going to Grow momotoro, which is a good Hybrid and mightly fine taster.

Any suggestions? Should I pick up some more "medium to small" size tomatoes. I hear they seem to do better in cold weather compared to larger tomatoes which stay on the vine longer.

IMISSCOLO - any hints for me? I don't have green house like you do.
Old June 21, 2006   #2
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Is it Siberia or Siberian? I was just looking through the seed catalogs and saw both but they weren't the same thing.

See here, what I mean, read here:
http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=1236(OG)
Old June 22, 2006   #3
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Good catch.. Siberia not Siberian. Sorry.
Old June 22, 2006   #4
Rena
Tomatovillian™

You have 2 pms
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2006   #5
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Pure luck. I just really wanted to know if I was wrong in the seeds I was looking for. Sorry to butt in on your post, I would like to know the answer as well.
Old June 22, 2006   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

Speakin' of TSWV ...

Does anyone know if that Peron tomato from TGS is bullet proof to that stuff? This is the first time I've seen that nasty crud it in my garden ... and I ain't gonna tolerate that stuff next summer if I can find some tomatoes that can fight it off.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2006   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The mysterious C-Tex Southern heat set claims TSWV tolerance.

Photos care of yummykaz in Spring, TX

Also the Texas-specific "444" tomato variety. Reminds me of a commercial for a bank. At the Bank of the Northern Hemisphere, you're not just a number, you're 3 numbers, a dash, 2 numbers, a dash, and then 4 numbers.

http://www.plantanswers.com/tomato444.htm

I haven't heard anyone glower about the taste but I guess if you have 0 tomatoes after planting 20 of the best heirlooms on earth because of this d@mned dirty disease, one will try anything.

I'm surprised nobody has set up a tomato garden with the same structure as a screened in porch. The screen would keep out stink bugs, thrips, and hopefully not too much sunlight.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2006   #8
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Some links I have found so far:
http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/HomeHort/F1...icles/AUG7.htm - Texas but principles apply

http://leon.ifas.ufl.edu/tomatoes_for_the.htm

http://www.burger.com/tomfall.htm - Texas Again.

http://www.keepbrazosbeautiful.org/e...mer082903.html

http://georgiafaces.caes.uga.edu/get...m?storyid=1896

Some guiding principles I have gleaned from these articles.

1. Choose heat setting varieties, that will set fruit shortly after plating while the summer heat is in full swing.

2. Plant seed in Early June or plant cuttings of full grown plants in Early July.

3. Young plants will need good moisture control in the high summer temps to get established.

4. There will be high pest pressure, since mid/late summer white flies and bugs will be at their worst. So keep pest under control early with insecticidal soap, etc..
Old June 22, 2006   #9
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon27
I'm surprised nobody has set up a tomato garden with the same structure as a screened in porch. The screen would keep out stink bugs, thrips, and hopefully not too much sunlight.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...710887.html?18

Not exactly what you're talking about, but close.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2006   #10
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Screened in porches?

Alright who Hijacked my thread?

FELLLLLLLLLLLLDONNNNN?
Old June 30, 2006   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I administrate 2 successful forums and yet I am the king of hijacking and taking threads off-topic. I raise points just interesting enough to bring up in an existing thread but not important enough to create a separate thread for. You never know where Tangents will lead.

Just to come back on-topic, I've potted up 32 tomato plants into 4" pots now. Arkansas Traveler, Azoychka, Black Krim, Brandy Boy, Cherokee Purple, Druzba (cross?), Eva Purple Ball, Homestead, Jet Star, Matt's Wild Cherry, Rutgers, Silvery Fir Tree, Stupice, Solar Set, and Sungold.

I saved seeds from a Druzba tomato at the farmer's market but I am thinking it's a cross because one is regular leaf and the other is potato leaf. I've been very meticulous about keeping seeds sorted. Wonder if I should just grow em out and see what happens.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2006   #12
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Interesting links Tim. Trying to figure out when to plant fall crops is hard. I am going to try a few different sowings this year and have a bed that will be kept just for them.
I too, feel very sad looking at dying vines in the fall when the weather is prime for tomatoes.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote