Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 3, 2015   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default Painting my pots...

In my studies and what I hear form experts...container growing can be sabotaged by pots getting hot from the sun and stressing the roots. I believe this. Therefore, I decided to paint my black nursery pots (plastic) white. It actually was fast and easy. I got some old latex exterior flat white that we had left over. Then, I simply used a 7" roller. It came out fine. I am not needing perfect here...just good enough to reflect the hot sun. I am expecting better results this season...
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2015   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

So interesting how we all have different problems according to our climate. Black pots are great up here for heat-loving plants like eggplant as they warm up faster in spring.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2015   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

yes, that is so true.
Old February 3, 2015   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I painted a bunch of 15 gallon black nursery pots year before last. They were new and I purchased the special spay paint for plastics. In fact the picture on the paint can shows it being painted on outdoors plastic furniture. The paint begain wearing off the first season.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #5
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I have been thinking about using aluminum foil on the eggplant containers that are black so I can have the best of two worlds. I would restrict this to my early ones as I use white buckets mainly. I will see how it goes.

jon

Last edited by peppero; February 5, 2015 at 07:25 AM.
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #6
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I use 5 gal black plastic bags. I was afraid of too much heat and considered putting each one in a white bag but after careful observation I determined the sun didn't effect the bags much due to less area per bag as well as foliage protection.

However, I use black plastic produce flats...the kind that the sides fold in when not in use, and they were baking my tomatoes at the market so I painted them white and it is amazing how much cooler they are when white.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #7
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Just using common sense here...I believe the smaller the pot...the more dramatic effect dark colors will have on damaging roots with heat. That being said...this fix of mine took very little time and money. Like I said...it does not have to be perfect. On a fast horse it actually looks better than the black plastic. haha
Old February 4, 2015   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

There are reversible black plastic nursery bags with a white interior, so you can use either side out. Or you could start them in the black-out bag and later when it gets hot, double bag it into a white-out bag. Like Karen, I use black bags/pots all summer since we are in the northern climes. But I hand water often and thoroughly. So far, I have never used the white side of the bags.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #9
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I needed something to plant some flowers in last summer that was, well, nicer than black plastic; but that was all I had. So, I sprayed them white, then put another coat of turquoise that's thinner in some places to give it some color variation. It worked. As long as you're not looking too closely, they're fine.

In the vegetable garden, I did notice that the pots on the southern side did get pretty hot. I didn't want to spray paint since they already had plants in them, so I wrapped the pots with a bit of aluminium foil. That worked, too.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #10
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Well, it seems as though we are all working through our climate "issues"...
Old February 14, 2015   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The color of pot can play a role.
In our PNW, black pot not only is not harmful but it can be beneficial. We have cool summers and a lot of rainy and overcast skies.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2015   #12
gardendoc
Tomatovillian™

Just a point to make with discussion, large commercial nurseries use black plastic pots regardless of their location
Old March 23, 2015   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

One more thing to consider :
Not all of the pot exterior is exposed to sun. Half of it is on the opposite side. Then the sun shines at an angle most of the time that does not hit the pot, add to this the shade of the plant itself.
But having said all that a light color can reduce heat absorption quite a bit in places like The South , CA, FL, AZ, TX, ..etc. But where I am heat is wanted.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #14
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardendoc View Post
Just a point to make with discussion, large commercial nurseries use black plastic pots regardless of their location
White polyethylene is not very durable when exposed to UV, that might be the biggest reason why they use black.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #15
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

http://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/handle/2097/3298
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote