Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 8, 2015   #1
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Calcium nitrate meal (not snack)?

My indeterminate plants are in 17 gallon containers in a greenhouse. I've used a mix which is 3 parts pine bark fines, 2 parts compost, 1 part peat and one part perlite, plus greensand, lime, and other amendments. The problem is, I think the "pine bark fines" weren't composted much, and are "stealing" nitrogen. A home test shows the nitrogen to be low, and the pH is around 6. (Phosphorous "medium", Potassium "high") I want to add calcium nitrate as a quick fix, but searching the forum hasn't yielded a good indication as to what amount to use. (I also have blood meal, but I understand this will take some time to be available to the plants.)

The plants seem to be healthy, and are growing well.

Any advice?

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #2
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

4 ounces per 100 gallons for seedlings, 8 ounces per 100 gallons for plants after flowers.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #3
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
4 ounces per 100 gallons for seedlings, 8 ounces per 100 gallons for plants after flowers.
Thanks for the info., Mark. I've been following "Alaska 2015 Tomatoes", and have been mightily impressed by what you achieve in the far north. Compared to you, I'm growing on a minuscule scale.

Your numbers convert to 230 grams per 380 liters (or 23 grams per 38 liters on my scale) for plants.

Steve
Old June 8, 2015   #4
GreenFarmer
Tomatovillian™

230g/380L sounds average
GreenFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

What does you current feed consist of?

Ami
Old June 9, 2015   #6
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
What does you current feed consist of?

Ami
Hi again amideutch. I've been relying on the compost lasting a while, and thought it would supply plenty of nitrogen. I haven't added anything yet. I don't know what things are like in Germany, but here in Norway we don't have any good fertilizers specific for tomatoes. I've planned to top dress with "Algomin Professional Garden", which is 4-5-11 plus 8,6 sulfur (purchased at Bauhaus). Now I think I have to try to find something else, since my mix is already high in Potassium.

Steve
Old June 9, 2015   #7
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Maybe a water soluble fertilizer? Here in the US we have things like "Miracle-Gro," which happens to be higher in Nitrogen than the other two elements.
Old June 9, 2015   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

What about fish emulsion or kelp?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #9
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tips. Calcium Nitrate is 15.5-0-0 and water soluble. I found one source of fish emulsion at $13 a liter (34 oz.) which is off budget. I could maybe make some myself, but wouldn't it smell bad in the greenhouse? I found no place to buy kelp as a fertilizer, and we don't live near the ocean. So I'm back to the Calcium Nitrate.
Old June 9, 2015   #10
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Seems like a reasonable plan, then. Making fish emulsion would make the greenhouse smell terrible; I would not want to try it myself. Seems better to put some fish trim in your compost pile.

I am also growing in a bark based mix, and haven't seen any problems yet, except that a tuberous begonia does not seem to like it. However, that's the only plant I have that's doing poorly in the mix. The tomatoes seem to LOVE it! It is very interesting to hear about the results of your soil test. Please keep us updated, and post pictures if you can!

Last edited by wormgirl; June 9, 2015 at 02:04 PM.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #11
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I have had issues with bark based mixes and nitrogen. I think adding some calcium nitrate is a good idea.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #12
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I've used "pine bark fines" which, according to what I've read in threads here, are the right size - 0-10 mm. They looked almost black when I made the mix, and I assumed they were partially composted. When the mix started to dry out, the bark became much lighter in color. That's why I did the soil test.

At any rate, I don't think I can get composted pine bark fines in Norway. I'm now adding these fines as the main carbon source to my own compost, which I will use next year.

It was time for a watering yesterday, so I used the calcium nitrate solution recommended by Mark. I'll keep those who are interested posted here(with photos when I find the time).

Steve

Last edited by sjamesNorway; June 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old June 10, 2015   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

What about you P and K? Calcium nitrate doesn't have any. Can you find a balanced fertilizer that's used for other vegetables or general gardening?
A liter of fish emulsion goes a long way. And kelp you may be able to gather if you're near the ocean.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #14
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
What about you P and K? Calcium nitrate doesn't have any. Can you find a balanced fertilizer that's used for other vegetables or general gardening?
A liter of fish emulsion goes a long way. And kelp you may be able to gather if you're near the ocean.
Hi Tracydr. In post 1 i wrote from the soil test: (Phosphorous "medium", Potassium "high"), so I'm OK with P and K.
If I buy fish emulsion, won't it result in a bad smell in the greenhouse? We're not near the ocean.

Next year I'll probably use (organic) blood meal in my mix, but this time I felt I needed a quick fix, and calcium nitrate seemed like the best solution.

Steve
Old June 10, 2015   #15
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Steve, you would want fish hydrolysate, not fish emulsion. Hydrolysate doesn't usually have as strong a smell. I don't know how long the scent would be noticeable in a greenhouse, but outside it disappears pretty quickly in the soil.
Is it really hard to find liquid or soluble kelp powder in Norway? I mean Ascophyllum nodosum, the most common species of kelp used for plants is also known as Norwegian kelp
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote