Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 8, 2008   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Can you actually taste them?

A lady I work with brought in some hot peppers she labeled "Italian Roasters" this summer. I took one home and cut off a tiny piece or two to taste. Suckers were hot enough I could not taste the flavor. No doubt there are much hotter peppers out there but if I can't taste the flavor then what's the point? Except for using in salsa, chili or other dishes to give it some heat, I can't imagine people actually enjoy eating hot peppers (by themselves). It was probably too hot even for something like rellenos.

So I'm curious, is this just my taste buds? Can you hot pepper people really taste these hot things??? Wow. At least I met my recommened daily intake of water that day. Needless to say I did NOT taste anymore of that hot pepper. Guess I'll have to stick to sweet peppers & jalapenos, even though I'm not fond of the taste of jalapenos.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2008   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Pouring molten lava on your tongue doesn't sound like a culinary delicacy? Go figure!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2008   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeff-I think it depends on what you are used to.

I know a woman from New York that can eat a handful of the very hottest peppers and not even blink. I am used to eating hot peppers-we live on the border, but I wasn't always able to appreciate the flavor. When I moved here from Virginia in 1971, a small bite of a hot pepper was enough to really bother me. However, after all these years, and eating hot peppers, I can do so without much problem. And as you are able to stand the heat, you begin to appreciate the flavor. There are some chile I still have problems with the flavor because they are so hot, like some of the ultra-hot chiles I have grown.

So I think if you continue to try and eat hot chile, you will be able to appreciate the flavors. Some of the best in this area are the New Mexico green chile. There is one variety that is so hot, not even my wife can eat them. But some of the others are quite mild and very flavorful.
Old November 8, 2008   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

On my first trip to Southeast Asia a bunch of years ago, I sat down in a "make shift" restaurant and was about to dive into a dish of fried rice. The dish came with a small fingerbowl type saucer that held some green and red pea-sized "berries" in a clear liquid. They called it something that loosely translated to "sweet sauce". Now, when "my buddies" said that to get full appreciation of the "Asian Quisine", I should take one of each of the "berries" in each fork-full - Like the gullible village idiot, I did.

As I bit down and crunched both of the berries, I experienced instant realization of making a huge mistake. My mouth was screaming that the "stuff" it contained had to leave the premises immediately and my stomach was yelling "Dear God, not down here!!!! Please don't swallow !!!!" My etiquette said I couldn't spit it out (the cook might be offended and shoot me). As the numbness set it and the tears dripped off my chin, I finally swallowed and then the real pain set in. My "buddies" were on the floor laughing.

I couldn't taste anything for several days. Everything food smelled like it was burnt. Even a good stiff drink lost its flavor. Trips to the latrine were also an adventure.

Even today, I call those little red and green things "volcano pills". I like a little heat from time to time, but I find that medium hot Picante Sauce is pushing my limit.

True Story from 1968

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2008   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like the buzz I get after eating hot peppers.
All of that pain causes the body to produce endorphins.
Naturally like all drugs the more you do it the hotter the pepper has to be.

I started when I was about 3 years old, my mom got me addicted and now I cant quit.evil:

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2008   #6
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default LOL

Worth are we your suppliers? Go to a hot pepper anonymous meeting immediately. But you would probably bring some seeds and hot salsa so they can start growing their own, getting them hooked again.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2008   #7
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the entertaining replies everyone. I'm amazed people can actually taste the flavor under the heat - or maybe the variety I had doesn't have much flavor. Michael, I doubt my taste buds would last long enough to get to the point of being able to taste those things. Although if I start now I might be able to taste them when I"m around 80 years old! I'm 43 now. I bought some Jamaican Hot Chocolate seeds a couple of years ago that I've been wanting to grow out. They will be hot ones, but I do want to try them just to see if I can taste the flavor, or at least use for salsa. That's if they germinate. I could not get the few seeds I tried to germinate last winter.

The good news is I was wise enough to take my contacs out of my eyes before slicing the Italian Roaster.

Jeff
Old November 9, 2008   #8
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default ouch!

Very smart idea to take out the contacts first. Had a friend that did not and then she paid the price for several days. OUCH!
Kat
PS I am a wuss when it comes to hot stuff.I have to put honey in mild sauce
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2008   #9
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Kat,

I've read many posts here and on GW from people who made the mistake of not taking out their contacs first before handling hot peppers. And I was glad I removed them because even my lips were burning from them. Imagine my eyeballs getting lit up with fiery pepper juice. No thanks!

Jeff
Old November 9, 2008   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that's another description. How can you describe every pain receptor in your mouth firing simultaneously as "flavor"?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2008   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You guys are a bunch of sissies.
Get with it man and take the plunge.
Last night I had some hamburger helper with Habanera cheese and 5 jalapeños with the hot carrots to boot (with seeds)
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2008   #12
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Some peppers change with cooking....I have grown several peppers that were burning hot raw and yet after roasting or frying became much milder and more flavorful....
If they are called Italian roasters , char a few on the grill then toss them in a pan with some onions, summer squash and potatoes...You might be surprised........

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2008   #13
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeanne-Interesting observation-with us, its just the opposite. When we cook with the chile we grow, that brings out the heat even more.
Old November 9, 2008   #14
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Michael I have seen that occur too...I have also observed a few of the New Mexico style chilis fire up with cooking...I think some of the Italian frying peppers ,at least acquire some sugar content from roasting/frying and that seems to bring out a different flavor...I need to check my notes, but the peppers I recall mellowing with cooking were Eastern European...Georgia Flame and Chervena Chuska come to mind....Fresno is tamer cooked with ,than in salsa too.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2008   #15
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Jeanne,

Funny thing, as I had wondered at the time if it would lose some of it's heat if I 'roasted' it. If I had cheese on hand I probably would have given 'rellenos' a try with it, although it would have been a waste of cheese if the pepper was still too hot for me.

Thanks for the idea, Jeff