Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 27, 2014   #1
Lycopersica
Tomatovillian™

Default Thrips on radishes

In my indoor container garden, I grow radishes for the greens as well as the bulbs. I put them on my balcony during a cool weather streak and sometime later noticed a problem with thrips. (Thankfully, they aren't spreading to the tomato plants.) Any idea how to get rid of them? Safer insecticidal soap killed some of the thrips but burnt the leaves pretty badly too.
Old July 27, 2014   #2
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I've got an experiment going this year. I've been spraying diatomaceous earth on my garden plants this year, and I'm seeing far fewer thrips and spider mites. Thrips, aphids, mites, worms, nothing likes the DE very much! Take 1 tablespoon of DE in a 32 oz spray bottle and fill with water. You have to keep shaking it as it will settle out after a while, but it doesn't clog the spray bottle at all. Once things dry you have a nice even coating of white. You have to re-apply it after it rains. The squash bugs are not entirely gone in my garden, but there seem to be fewer of them and they haven't killed my plants yet!

Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised. It rinses off the produce completely and even if you did ingest it, it wouldn't hurt you.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2014   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The only critters I've ever seen on radish foliage are flea beetles and they sure can destroy the foliage.

No thrips this far north in zone 5, no mites, seldom aphids, etc/

I do nothing about it and still get lots of radishes although this year Freda didn't get mine sown for me, so I'm radishless, but I'm sure one of the farmstands around here might have some, so will ask someone to take a look for me.

Carolyn
Old July 28, 2014   #4
Lycopersica
Tomatovillian™

I wish it was flea beetles instead of thrips. Then, I would've seen the first ones before bringing the plants back inside! Ah well, I'll give diatomacious earth a try. Do I have to worry about it burning the plant or blocking photosynthesis?
Old July 28, 2014   #5
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I have not noticed any problems like that at all, and I've sprayed at all times of day. Your plants will look like they are lighter in color after the spray dries, but they're not totally white or anything.

We're actually getting a nice Summer thunderstorm right now (I just hope it doesn't hail, and also that there aren't any more lightning-sparked fires!) In the high desert, we're lucky to get 5-7" of precipitation per year, and we're in the third year of a drought.The last two years we've only gotten about 3" per year, so any moisture is welcome! Guess I'll be outside re-spraying the DE tomorrow!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote