Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old November 26, 2014   #1
Hermitian
BANNED

Default Got artichokes?

Artichokes (Cynara cardunculus) grow well here. If you are a few miles inland then planting them next to a west-facing structure will help avoid destruction from heat during the summer. Artichokes are in the Aster family, which among other things contains lettuce. Among species in the genus Cynara, there is only one other species I know of that is cultivated: the Dwarf Artichoke (Cynara humilis). I've yet to find a good source for it.

Old November 27, 2014   #2
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful plant you got there! Did you grow it from seed, if so, when did you sow? I grew artichokes for the first time a few years ago and I think I sowed and planted at the same time as my summer veggies (in Jan or Feb). I want to grow some again. I was unclear about the part where you can keep them growing for about 2 years, and pulled them out after harvesting the chokes. Any tips Hermitian?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2014   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Very beautiful , perfectly formed and looks so fresh and tasty. Wish I could grow them like that in my area. I did what you did peebee. Started it early gave it a little chill and let it resume growing outside. I got a huge plant with something the size of an egg on top. How many do you grow Hermitian, just the one per season? Yes, tips please!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2014   #4
Hermitian
BANNED

These are Imperial Star which I obtained from Johnny's Seeds a few years ago. The plants are rhizomatous and usually send up new slips (plants) in the summer. The plants you see here are in a twentyfive gallon pot. When grown at home you can harvest the entire flower stem and it can be eaten steamed - absolutely delicious. I find the plants do very well with a water supply that is adjusted (fertigated) to a pH near 6.2. In the past I've done this by constant feeding with a water-soluble azalea fertilizer. But because they are rhizomatous, this year I am using a formula designed for tubers (e.g. potatoes). One thing is for sure - they are heavy feeders.
Old November 27, 2014   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

An artichoke is a thistle, they look like a thistle and grow like one.

That is probably the best looking thistle I have ever seen.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2014   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I bought Imperial Star a few years back, quite possibly from Johnny's too. I read they produce better in their second year. To trick the plant into thinking it went through a season, I gave it a cold treatment for about 6 weeks and set it out when the soil was nice and warm. It produced healthy foliage but the choke itself was more for decoration. I hardly ever use a fertilizer. I probably starved the poor thing. I better get my grow area together and try again soon.

- Lisa
Old November 27, 2014   #7
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
... I read they produce better in their second year. ...
From the description at Johnny's Seed:
Quote:
A green artichoke specifically bred for annual production, Imperial Star will produce well-developed artichokes the first year from seed. Plants become 1 1/2-3' tall and have an open growth habit. Each typically produces 1-2 primary buds, which average 3-4" in diameter, and 5-7 smaller secondary buds. Perennial in Zone 7 and warmer; otherwise treat as an annual.
Old November 27, 2014   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I checked and my Imperial Star seed is from Henry Fields. I read up a bit to refresh my memory on how to germinate the seeds and in my zone they (Mother Earth News, that is) suggests a minimum two week vacation in a baggie with moist sand in the fridge , or similar chilled area. I have 10 I.S. seeds soaking. Now to visit the lake in 20 degree weather for a handful of sand ... I envy your choice of residence, Richard !!!

- Lisa
Old November 27, 2014   #9
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I also didn't know I.S. could be planted outside a month before the last frost date. Anyone have experience with this? Seems way too cold here for all but the most cold tolerant crops. I have heavy clay in the city, and it takes forever to warm up.
Old November 27, 2014   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

A grower in Idaho successfully vernalized artichokes in their unheated greenhouse.

Sorry for all these threads. I'm over excited to start seeds again!

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; November 27, 2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old November 27, 2014   #11
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
A grower in Idaho successfully vernalized artichokes in their unheated greenhouse. ...
I started mine in seed trays along with many other plants and did not do anything special.

Quote:
... I'm over excited to start seeds again!
Yes! It's getting near that season. But mine are going to have to wait awhile longer because my propagation area is busy with some flowering orchids, a young Schisandra vine, and some sweet potato sprouts.

Old November 28, 2014   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

One of these years I might have success.

Germination takes anywhere from 7 to 30 days. Germination rate is about 50%, and albinos have been about 50% of those that germinate, for me. So, I start with about 4X the amount of seed as plants I'd like to have.

After developing about two sets of leaves, they go into the fridge for 14 days, then transplanted out after the last frost. That's as far as I've made it. My transplants did a slow death after transplanting. I don't know why.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014   #13
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
... After developing about two sets of leaves, they go into the fridge for 14 days, ...
Why?
Old November 29, 2014   #14
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

They won't produce chokes the first year, unless "tricked". They are an annual where I live.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
They won't produce chokes the first year, unless "tricked". They are an annual where I live.
Imperial Star is listed as an annual and will produce in the first year according to the description.

No need to (trick) the plant into thinking it has gone through a second winter.
At least that is what I have read.
I by no means am an expert on the artichoke or where you live.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote