Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 21, 2015   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default Sowing Pepper Seeds...

I have done pretty well with my tomato seed sowing this year (first time newbie). However, I notice all my pepper seeds (jalapeno, Anaheim, wonder bell) have not poked up their heads after 8 days. Is this expected? Is the article I read regarding NOT planting pepper seeds in a peat based mix true???
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I don't use a heating mat for my seeds. They are about 68F. My peppers first pepper seeds usually breaks ground on day 10-12. The latest couple take up to 21 days. I still get good germination rates--I use the same seed starting mix for peppers and tomatoes. This year I'm growing Yummy (small sweets), King of the North (bell), Experiment Orange bell, Serrano, Fish Pepper and Aji Amarillo.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Peppers often take over a week to pop for me as well. I wouldn't worry yet.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Peppers often take over a week to pop for me as well. I wouldn't worry yet.
Totally agree. I have had to wait close to a month for a few of my varieties. Hang in there and be patient. All good things come to those who wait.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I agree they take longer. Mine seem to germinate in reverse order of hotness.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #6
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

thanks to all...when you do not know what you are doing...you imagine all kinds of stuff. waiting....
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #7
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Should you let the soil mix dry out between spraying for peppers. I've been keeping mine moist daily.

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
Should you let the soil mix dry out between spraying for peppers. I've been keeping mine moist daily.

-Jimmy

Keep the mix moist you dont want the seeds to dry out.

It just doesn't have to be so wet the alligators move in.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I am agreeing with Worth for the most part on this one, but some pepper seeds need for the surface to dry some between watering. By no means, let the cell dry out. Just let the top of the potting/pro mix slightly turn lighter in color. Then bottom water but not too much. and lol, no alligators.

Some varieties of peppers take a lot longer than others to germinate. It seems like I've read a hundred times about super-hots taking over a month to Germinate. The hottest variety I started this year is Datil (!00,000 - 300,000 Scoville) and it germinated within 10 days.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #10
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Hotter the pepper, the longer it takes...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2015   #11
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I have three Carolina Reapers growing at this time. One took seven days and the other two germinated on day eight. I had them on a heat mat set at 86 F.

I wouldn't worry about them yet.
Old February 25, 2015   #12
peppero
Tomatovillian™

My experience varies; more than likely yours will too.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #13
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Just curious - any sign of them yet? My first one took eight days. It's now been 10 days and only about half of them are showing signs of life. I'm still not worried.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I have it take as long as a month for super hots to pop. One of the things I have noticed is in some cases, germination depends on the method the seed was dried. I know some folks dry their pepper seeds in a dehydrator and for me, those seeds have taken longer to germinate than those that the peppers were picked fresh and seed removed immediately and just left to dry for a week or so on a plate.

Are you using the baggy method for germination or just have them in soil with no cover?

Once the 20 day mark hits, I do watch carefully when using the baggy method. I make sure that the moisture forming in the baggy stays very low to prevent the seeds from starting to mold.

Something else I have done and agree with above if I see seeds are taking a long time to germinate, is to remove them from the baggy, let air dry a little bit , but not dry out and gently give a quick sprintz on the top of the soil with a water and hydrogen peroxide solution and than put back in a new, moisture free baggy. It usually works good for me.

Hope the rest of your seeds sprout soon.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #15
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

I sow my pepper and tomato seeds in Jiffy Mix in styrofoam egg cartons, three seeds to a cell. We have a furnace / utility closet in which the temperature stays at 78 F and I set the egg cartons in there, on top of our hot water heater, to sprout seeds in the dark. I don't mix tomato and pepper seeds in the same carton because tomatoes will generally sprout first and need to be put under lights long before peppers come up.

If you have a similar warm place in your home, this is a good way to avoid having to use a heat mat. This method has worked real well for me for years. Peppers often sprout slowly and for me they sometimes take as much as three weeks to come up.
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote