Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 1, 2015   #1
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Default starting containers

Could you please give suggestions for pots,etc, to start seeds in? I would like something that wouldn't require transplanting..if possible...before placing in their permanent pot/garden spot. I have the square plastic salad green containers that I could limit the amount of seeds...4 maybe? Thanks
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #2
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I use the 72 cells or empty yogurt containers using starter mix and NCTomatoman's dense-sowing strategy. Then I pot up to 18oz red SOLO party/beer cups with regular potting MIX (never SOIL).
If you don't want to do that then start in the red cups I guess but its harder to control that many BIGGER cups when trying to optimize conditions for germinating.
Old March 1, 2015   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Why are you against transplanting? Dense sowing in small containers and transplanting into larger ones is a good opportunity to plant the seedlings deeper (especially if they've gotten at all leggy), which will increase the root mass of the seedlings compared to non-transplanted starts.

With that said, transplanting isn't necessary. You could try square seed starting plastic tray inserts. That might be a good compromise between large enough til planting out and good container to start in. You could even start them half full of seed starting mix and fill up to the top after the plants get big enough to get more root mass.

I use 1801 tray inserts for my tomatoes and peppers (I transplant into those, but you could try them in the method I describe above).

The solo cup method is also tried and true that luigiwu describes. I may go up into those with my peppers this year because I'm trying starting them extra early. Tomatoes I'll continue to go with starting 6-7 weeks before last frost date since they grow much faster.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; March 1, 2015 at 08:24 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #4
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

About how long from germination before transplant? I guess in the past I have seeded too thick and it was very frustrating to transplant. Maybe the cells would work with single seed per cell.
Old March 1, 2015   #5
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I'd have to check my notes, but I transplant fairly quickly maybe 2 weeks after germination. After the first set of true leaves get kinda big.

I sow anywhere from 2 to 8 seeds in a cell of a deep 4 pack cell and have no problems. The nctomatoman plants seeds even denser. I pop the whole cell out and the mix crumbled apart and the plants are easy to transplant.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; March 1, 2015 at 09:20 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I always start seed in those Glad containers ( cheap knockoff of Tupperware I guess). I sow fairly thick, sometimes with multiple varieties in one container. (Making a little map that I can refer to later). That way they don't take as much real estate on my heating pad or limited lights. Then I move them to plastic cups. Sometimes I move them before they have true leaves, for me that's easier, and they don't seem to mind being handled at that stage.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #7
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I start with Craig's dense planting method, then transplant into 2" soil blocks, where they stay until plant out. No individual container, no waste, no transplant shock, no root- bound plants, even no feeding, since my blocking mixture is compost based.
Old March 2, 2015   #8
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdermom View Post
it was very frustrating to transplant.
Why was it frustrating?
Old March 2, 2015   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I often plant only one plant each of many varieties and for that reason, so I can identify them, I use Jiffy pellets. They are easy to transplant, just drop the whole thing-plant and pellet into a 4 inch pot and fill with potting soil at 2 sets of true leaves. Dense planting works well if you are planting many seeds of the same variety but f you only want one or two of each jiffy pellets work great.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #10
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Last year I moved over to soil blocks. One of the best things I've ever done.
Use a mesh bottom tray (from Johnny's) water from the bottom. Come plant out time, pick up an almost solid block and transplant.
No shock, as the roots are not disturbed. I used it on beets, Toms, even Melons and Cucumbers which are notorious for disliking their roots being disturbed.
Whoever thought it out needs a pat on the back, great idea, saves a ton on pots etc.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #11
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I often plant only one plant each of many varieties and for that reason, so I can identify them, I use Jiffy pellets. They are easy to transplant, just drop the whole thing-plant and pellet into a 4 inch pot and fill with potting soil at 2 sets of true leaves. Dense planting works well if you are planting many seeds of the same variety but f you only want one or two of each jiffy pellets work great.
KarenO
You don't cut the material off of the jiffy pellet before you plant it?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #12
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Please someone that mentioned "soil blocks" provide more information or links, etc, that I could research on exactly how you do it or what you purchase. Just a note...this forum and all the persons willing to share is great!! Oh...I got frustrated because I had a tangled web of seedlings and separating, etc. I only need a few plants of each variety and will have to share those in the end if they all germinate so I don't think thickly planting is the way for me...so much lost. I know how I am, would feel I had to pot up all and end up with hundreds of seedlings with no place to grow. If I had 2 or 3 of each variety to put out I would be very happy..
Old March 2, 2015   #13
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Well, soil blocks work just fine for single seeding. Put one seed in each block, and if one doesn't germinate, just add the block back into your potting mix. Or plant something else in it.
Johnny's has some videos and information, as does Peaceful Valley. Or you can just google " soil blocks". I'd post some links, but I'm on this iPad, and I have a hard time doing anything but read on this blasted device.
By the way, some things work great with multiple seeds in a single block. I put up to ten bunching onion seeds in one block, for example, and get to harvest the whole bunch at once. Two or three beets in a block will just push each other aside as they grow, and that makes thinning unnecessary, and weeding much easier. Pretty much the only veg I have not had luck in blocks is carrots.
The initial investment may seem high for the blockers, but they are solidly made, and if kept clean and dry between uses, they should last just about a lifetime, at least.
Old March 2, 2015   #14
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Well, soil blocks work just fine for single seeding. Put one seed in each block, and if one doesn't germinate, just add the block back into your potting mix. Or plant something else in it.
Johnny's has some videos and information, as does Peaceful Valley. Or you can just google " soil blocks". I'd post some links, but I'm on this iPad, and I have a hard time doing anything but read on this blasted device.
By the way, some things work great with multiple seeds in a single block. I put up to ten bunching onion seeds in one block, for example, and get to harvest the whole bunch at once. Two or three beets in a block will just push each other aside as they grow, and that makes thinning unnecessary, and weeding much easier. Pretty much the only veg I have not had luck in blocks is carrots.
The initial investment may seem high for the blockers, but they are solidly made, and if kept clean and dry between uses, they should last just about a lifetime, at least.

This Johnny's Where? I amm looking for something like this, Beale.
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
You don't cut the material off of the jiffy pellet before you plant it?
No, I have always left it on. Place the little plant pellet and all in the bottom of a 4 inch nursery pot and fill it with potting mix.
I let my seedlings grow to 2 leaf stage, about 4 inches tall in the pellets. Roots easily penetrate the fabric surrounding the pellets, even in they trays. I have used pellets for tomatoes for years and I like them.

I also use cell trays but similarly, I never want 72 of any one thing. so I cut them apart. 8 cells or a dozen or whatever. That way, when the sweet peppers germinate before the hots for example, I can move the sweets off the heat mat and under the lights and leave the hots on the heat. flowers, herbs, etc. I will never need 72 of any one thing and everything germinates at different rates.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote