Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2012   #1
royceag
Tomatovillian™

Default Crazy 'Patio' Cherry Tomato Plant!

I finally took photos of my 'Patio' cherry tomato plants from seeds purchased through Artistic Gardens (sample packet had 12 seeds for $.40). It was described as such by their website: "Patio [161] Tomato
Cherry type, Medium size red fruit. Can be grown in a large pot.

Planting: Sow seeds 1/2"-3/4" deep and 24"-48" apart in rows 36"-48" apart. Plants will need to be stalked. Start indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost date in North and March-April in South. If starting indoors seedlings need sun and cool 60F-70F temperatures after germination to prevent leggy seedlings. 1/8 oz per 100' row. 70 Day.
"

As I mentioned in my posting under Artistic Garden's vendor review page, my plants are simply enormous- 7'+ and still growing with trusses of 7-12 (1.5-2" diameter) fruits. I can't imagine them in pots- but maybe that would have reigned in their wild growth some! I was certainly not prepared for their aggressive sprawl when I planted them in those wretched tomato cages (the tall ones, but still!!). What do others have to say about their experience growing 'Patio'?
[IMG][/IMG] Whoa, BIG pics for BIG plants!
Old July 13, 2012   #2
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Wow! I had a Patio once, and it worked nicely in a pot in my driveway. Nothing like you got there!

BTW, I got lots of sample seeds from Artistic Gardens last year, as well. Really nice way to try out some things that I wouldn't pay lots of $$$ for. I got them when they were $.35, and really appreciated a 'taste' of this and that. I didn't buy tomatoes from them, though. I'm pretty sure they buy in bulk, and resell in their own packets.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #3
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Holy @@@@!! Wow! That looks just like my Sweet Cherry 100 plants.
Crazy growth and huge amounts of cherry tomatoes.

A patio variety? I think there was a mix up there for you.
It appears to be producing some beautiful tomatoes though.

I bet they taste good too!!

Julia
Old July 14, 2012   #4
royceag
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
Wow! I had a Patio once, and it worked nicely in a pot in my driveway. Nothing like you got there!

BTW, I got lots of sample seeds from Artistic Gardens last year, as well. Really nice way to try out some things that I wouldn't pay lots of $$$ for. I got them when they were $.35, and really appreciated a 'taste' of this and that. I didn't buy tomatoes from them, though. I'm pretty sure they buy in bulk, and resell in their own packets.

j
Hi Janezee,
I, too was very impressed with Artistic Gardens. Being in a new climate with no clue, it was perfect to be able to get a small number of seeds to trial. With such a low investment, the misses don't sting too much and the hits are like a bargain bonanza- LOVE THAT! I wish more companies offered small sample packets, not more than 10 seeds. I've been looking and this is the only company I've found to do so. As to buying in bulk, I'm positive they do but, the seeds seem to be very good quality from my germination percentages & resulting plants.

Regarding the size of this big bubba, I wonder, since it is so commonly grown in pots, if that just keeps it in check for others? Am I one of the very few to put it into the ground? Anyone else?

Hi PA Julia,
Glad to know there are other cherry toms to exhibit similar growth. Ironically, these babies are taking FOREVER to ripen in this weather so I don't have scads. Also, I don't eat raw tomatoes so I haven't tasted them yet. I tried to pawn some off but they were not well received- I have a feeling they're disgusting and everyone's too polite to say so. I've got to find someone who'll give me an honest opinion- not easy in the very gracious South!
Old June 26, 2013   #5
royceag
Tomatovillian™

Just an update on these tomatoes- They're back! They spawned 2 volunteer plants, 1 of which is growing in partial shade but seemingly doubling in size every day. Now, it has some baby fruits just developing with more blooms coming. I'm nervous that it'll be another massive, invasive plant; it's already topping the tomato cage. Who knows as I believed the original was a hybrid- hopefully the resulting toms are edible!
Old June 28, 2013   #6
sjoella
Tomatovillian™

all of your photos are gone i was hoping to see them too!
sjoella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2013   #7
royceag
Tomatovillian™

I know! it's something to do with Photobucket. I'll try to re-upload them there & then repost them.
Old June 28, 2013   #8
royceag
Tomatovillian™

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG]
[/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG] 'Patio' pics from 2012.
Old June 28, 2013   #9
royceag
Tomatovillian™

Here are pics of the "spawn" [IMG][/IMG] This one is in partial shade so, hopefully it won't be big as its mama.