Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 24, 2015   #1
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

Default The blue danger threatens the conformity of tomatoes

1) Summary
Since the arrival of the blue tomato, the pallet of the possible colors of tomatoes was enlarged. The craze caused by this new color urged me to ask me of numerous questions.
Do we really know the truth on the creation of the first blue tomato?
How and why this insipid tomato at first became very delicious when it was crossed with Heirloom varieties?
How and why some pollen of the flowers of this tomato can be transmitted in Heirloom varieties and introduce so the blue gene in these varieties?

I received seeds " OSU BLUE " in 2009 and I began to study it.
Two years later, I already had a tomato which had some taste and which since has already gone round the world.

There is now in 2015, a great deal of different varieties.
It is one of reasons why, there are so many instabilities in the new varieties of blue tomatoes and as there are so many not corresponding tomatoes in the same variety bearing the same name.
If two tomatoes of the same variety thus bearing the same name are not identical, it is necessary "to create" two different names.
It is simple if the breeder of tomatoes obtains these two varieties having the same name but he does not have to believe that he possesses the "real" variety: he has to confront his variety with all the varieties which other breeders possess.

A place, recognized by all is thus needed where each compares its variety with all the others and it is in this place that all the different names will be created.
It will also be necessary to define rules of conformity of the Heirloom tomatoes so that heirloom variety contains no blue gene.
Indeed, if we have in a space restricted for the heirloom tomatoes and the blue tomatoes, it is possible that blue genes enter in the heritage of heirloom tomatoes because of insect pollinators.
Thus, it is necessary to observe the plants of tomatoes which we raise to detect the presence of blue genes during all the growth of tomatoes.
The ultimate observation is the detection of the blue color on the skin of heirloom tomato.
It is especially necessary to learn to detect all these present visual markers at a moment of the growth of our plants of tomatoes.
I thus go you show examples which I discovered during my tests and during the tests which several of my testers discovered.
The title is a brief summary of what I have just written.
The blue is thus for the heirloom varieties and all the not blue modern varieties an enormous danger because the blue gene then is passed on in invasive way in the tomatoes which we want to keep healthy.
All this will be demonstrated in the report 2015 of the tests of Ambiorix.

To meditate: do not exchange and not give seeds of tomatoes which were not protected if they grew up with blue tomatoes in your environment.

Last edited by Ambiorix; September 24, 2015 at 01:02 PM.
Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue , conformity , dangerous , heirloom , tomatoes