Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2013   #1
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default is this trillium and what is this other thing?

Hi everyone

a couple of questions. The first photo I'm posting is what I believe is trillium.

Does anyone out there know if it is indeed trillium?

Also, I have a bush with yellow flowers, that is the second photo. Anyone know what the bush might be?

Thank you for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (470.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.jpg (330.6 KB, 61 views)
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #2
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

The yellow flower looks like Hypericum AKA St. John's Wort, to me.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin

Last edited by ChrisK; July 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Had to remember common name of the genus!
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #3
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Ahhhh ChrisK I wish I had your knowledge. Thank you.
I keep finding things in my yard and I have no idea what they are.

The gentleman who lived here and was the original owner farmed on the property since 1936 and had planted things here since that time.

THANK YOU, thank you!
Old July 14, 2013   #4
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we have st johns wort growing wild here. its not a bush. the flower petals are narrower, and have dark spots on them near the tips. trillium grows here too. you find it blooming on the edge of wooded areas in the spring time. they are a pretty sight to see. most common color is white. the leaf looks like it could be trillium. not positive though.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #5
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

It looks like trillium to me, both leaf and flower.
Old July 15, 2013   #6
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Thank you! I took that picture after most of the flower was gone. My husband loves it, and I believe there is a variety from NY State that is endangered or protected...
Old July 15, 2013   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
Thank you! I took that picture after most of the flower was gone. My husband loves it, and I believe there is a variety from NY State that is endangered or protected...
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=trun

Ys, it's the Painted Trillium but is not quite endangered, as noted at the bottom of the above link.

Rare, yes, very rare, but the person from whom I bought my home knew where almost every wildflower grew in our area and thankfully Ruth showed me those areas.

So yes, I've seen the Painted Trillium.

There's also the white Trillium and the very common maroon one that you showed in your picture.

Carolyn
Old July 15, 2013   #8
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

There are a number of species with different growth characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
we have st johns wort growing wild here. its not a bush. the flower petals are narrower, and have dark spots on them near the tips. trillium grows here too. you find it blooming on the edge of wooded areas in the spring time. they are a pretty sight to see. most common color is white. the leaf looks like it could be trillium. not positive though.

keith

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #9
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

the yellow flower is definitely not a trillium unless it's a cultivated version but i never saw any trillium that was yellow nor any trillium with leavers like that. st. john's wort? not sure but i don't think it is.

why do you think the trillium is a painted trillium? there are a few differnt ones in ct. the flowers are long gone, check next april or may. i'd say it is a red trillium aka ill scented wake robin. the flower will be a dark red if it is and if so DON"T smell it. ill scented wake robin is aka the headache flower. this is a very common wildflower in ct.

tom

eta: i just looked at the pictures again and you can see the wilting flower on the trillium and it is a bit darker than an ill scented wake robin flower. this picture must have been taken in late april or mid may after the flower was over blossomed depending upon when it flowered. so i'd say it is definitely an ill scented wake robin.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life

Last edited by tjg911; July 15, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #10
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Hey Tom

I didn't think the yellow one was trillium, I didn't know what it was.

I never heard of a painted trillium, I just read that some trilliums in New York are protected and I think it was Carolyn who brought up the painted trillium because that is the kind in New York that is rare.

Thank you for the info on the trillium. I think flies pollinate them, the flies seem to like the flowers.
Old July 16, 2013   #11
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
Hey Tom

I didn't think the yellow one was trillium, I didn't know what it was.

I never heard of a painted trillium, I just read that some trilliums in New York are protected and I think it was Carolyn who brought up the painted trillium because that is the kind in New York that is rare.

Thank you for the info on the trillium. I think flies pollinate them, the flies seem to like the flowers.
yes painted trilliums are very rare, if you see one in the wild that's quite a sighting. i have seen them at flanders nature center in bethlehem. and yes the ill scented wake robin which is very common in ct in woodlands and damp areas is pollinated by carrion flies because they stink like.... not sure if the other trilliums are as bad smelling cuz i'd be afraid to check!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote