Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 9, 2009   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default I kept telling the wife they're here.

For the last few days, I have been searching my plants three times a day (or more) and telling the wife that I could "feel" their presence out there.

This morning, my concerns were validated when I found the critter pictured below (which, BTW, is now deceased). Now, I'm doubly paranoid.

Did not find the first sign of any damage. Not even one leaf edge chomped. Nor did I find any more critters.

This one was about 2 inches long and a paler color of green - not the usual tomato-stem-green. It was crawling on the top of the mix in one of the 18 gallon containers.

What freaks me out on this one was its size given no evidence of it eating anything.

Oh, well, they have arrived in North Georgia. North Carolina, this weather may send them moths your way next. If not, Tennessee could be the target.

Natural, you're just north of me ... ..Theey'rrre HEEEEERE!!

Brog, did you just run them out of your garden??

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HW2009a.JPG (77.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg HW2009b.JPG (78.7 KB, 30 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Pardon my ignorance, Ted. What are they? And you have my sympathies if whatever they are are indeed "there".
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #3
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I have been getting the same "vibe" as you. I've been checking and see no evidence they're leaving behind... but I know it's there and I'm missing it. I guess I'm going to have to go out with a flashlight and look after dark
Old June 9, 2009   #4
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

That's a tomato hornworm. They have a voracious appetite for tomato leaves and can strip branches overnight.

Usually parasitic wasps will find them and lay their eggs on them, so if you see any with little white rice-looking cocoons on them, let them be. The hornworm has stopped feeding at that point and the wasp larvae will soon hatch, spreading more of themselves to patrol your garden.

You can treat your plants with any BT-containing product if you have a lot of them. BT stands for Bacillus thuringiensis, a naturally occuring bacteria found in soil.

The actual mode of action of BT is simple. The bacterium produces a crystal protein toxin that kills the cells lining the insect's gut. When ingested, the bacterial cell wall is digested which releases this toxin. Since insects have guts that are only one cell layer thick, this toxin literally "eats" a hole in the gut, causing an infection in the body cavity.

Translation: dead hormworms.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #5
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info. I guess I've been blessed. I've never had them in all the years I've been growing tomatoes. Touch wood, I may not have them for years to come, if I'm lucky. I get aphids more than anything else.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #6
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ted. I've been on the lookout as well but have not spotted any as yet. Last year every time I saw one it was already covered with wasp larvae! Yippee!

I can only hope that my luck continues this year...

Ya gotta love them wasps. I keep trying to explain to my wife the difference between the good bugs and the bad bugs... LOL
TheClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #7
ReaverG
Tomatovillian™

That's kind of eerie, I had a nightmare that I was pulling them off of my plants the other night. Thanks for the scary story, I guess I'll be waking in a cold sweat muttering 'hornworms' over and over again soon.
*Thanks for the heads up.
Old June 9, 2009   #8
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Last year I had a reallly bad tomato year and was waiting on my last couple tomatoes. I found one had eaten most of the plant and had wove it's way through a tomato. I am a pacifist when it comes to harming bugs and such. I was so mad I cut off the offending tomato and hornworm and took it to the side yard and wacked the thing with an ax over and over. I know a little overboard but since that time I have no problem killing hornworms.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #9
nosnow
Tomatovillian™

Ted,
I had the same feeling last week, here in SE TN. I walk my rows twice a day, and on Wednesday I saw 4 scat pellets on one plant. Well, I put on my reading glasses and studied that plant for about half an hour before I found the suspect tucked away on the underside of a leaf. Luckily he didn't do any noticeable damage. I hate seeing the bare stem damage and not being able to find the buggers. Most years the wasps find 3/4 of them before I do.

Be Alert! Lerts have more fun.

Joan
nosnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #10
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

I saw my first one Sunday, a wasp already had him in it's cluthes. The worm was still alive and wiggling but the wasp had the situation under control. I haven't seen any damage yet but like you all I have been looking daily. They also like some of my flowers and can demolish a flower in no time.

on lookout in Texas,

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #11
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I was bagging peppers last year to save seed, and I very carefully bagged a hornworm in every bag but one. The tulle apparently protected them well from the wasps.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #12
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I am hoping that's a southern thing. I would freak out if I saw one on my plants. We have those small bushy and striped catapillers here but they don't eat tomato leaves, just other leaves.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #13
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I found evidence of at least one hornworm this week. I haven't found him yet though. Not much damage, so far. I hate touching them, even with gloves, so I usually just snip as little foliage off as I can with the creature still attached and toss it in the garbage.
Old June 10, 2009   #14
swimgymmom
Tomatovillian™

Haven't seen any here. We only had one or two last year and found them pretty quick. My DH has taken to lighting them on fire with a lighter. Kills them pretty quick since neither one of us like to touch them.
swimgymmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #15
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

never had or saw a horn worm in the U.P. for 10 years. too dang cold. don't know if they are in the thumb or not. hasn't been much warmer here either so far. don't miss the black flies.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote