Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 3, 2012   #1
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Default Pruning and Sprawling Question (pics)

In my three EarthTainers, I'm growing 1 determinate tom (Top Gun - far left in image) and five indeterminate toms (left to right in image: Black Krim, Lemon Boy, Big Beef, German Johnson, & Mortgage Lifter). All are in the 'traditional' conical cages purchased from Lowes. Also, my 2nd floor apartment balcony is facing East by SouthEast.

As I understand things, I don't want to ever prune determinate toms. However, I'm unsure if I should prune the indeterminates. As of today, they range from 16 - 21 inches tall and all have (at least the beginnings of) flower clusters. Is it too early in the foliage development stage to allow for flowering/fruiting?

Also, what about pruning the 'suckers'? I know there are several threads discussing this matter, but none seem to be directly related to EarthTainer gardening. Should I prune ALL the suckers? Should I only prune SOME of them? NONE?

Finally, the Lemon Boy is really starting to sprawl (see image). It's even growing branches that are growing straight downward. They seem like they are meant to help support the plant. This may be seen in the image provided. How should I address this? SHOULD I address this?

This is my first year using EarthTainers as well as my first year taking gardening seriously, so I'll inevitably have more questions in the future. Thanks!

-Lyle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012 Garden, Kitties 024.jpg (271.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 2012 Garden, Kitties 027.jpg (104.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 2012 Garden, Kitties 028.jpg (133.3 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by lapk78; April 4, 2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: don't want to limit responders to earthtainer gardeners
lapk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Lyle,

I prune sparingly in EarthTainers, mainly to provide better air flow near the base of the plants. I just tuck in the branches which grow outside the cages to encourage growth within the cage system.

Others may have a different opinion, so let's see what others recommend.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2012   #3
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray! Is this a technique intended to increase the quantity of fruit, or the average size of the fruit? With all those branches inside the cages, it doesn't get too congested with leaves?

I'm surprised that nobody else has chimed in to offer any differing advise or experience... HINT, HINT... anybody?

-Lyle
Old April 4, 2012   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Lyle,

It is a combination of trying to stimulate flower production / fruit, plus permitting good air circulation through the plant, so a balance. Also, you've got approx 16 cubic feet of grow area within the cage system, so there is plenty of room for the 2 plants to fully develop.

Raybo
Old April 11, 2012   #5
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Wow! It's been a week since my original post, and looking at these pics makes me realize that the tomato plants have more than doubled in size! The three plants in the right of the image (Big Beef, German Johnson, & Mortgage Lifter) now stand about 6" above the top of the balcony railing! WOW!

However, I noticed that the Lemon Boy, which is an indeterminate, is not as tall as the three I listed above. My best guess as to why is that the plant now has 8 vines (or growing tips, or side-shoots allowed to grow unregulated), whereas the others have between 3 and 4. I'm beginning to wonder if this may be too much horizontal growth and not enough vertical growth. Some of these side-shoots are as big as the primary vine. These plants are caged in the traditional 5-ft round cages, and not the pea-fence style cages.

Anybody have any opinions or suggestions? Thanks!

-Lyle
Old April 11, 2012   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Lyle,

Can you post some current pictures?

While you don't want a "jungle" to develop which would hurt air circulation, my view is that more vines means more tomatoes, to put it simply.

Raybo
Old April 12, 2012   #7
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

The left plant in the middle box is the Lemon Boy in question. The succession of photos shows all 8 of the vines. Although it may appear like some are just normal branches, they are actually "suckers" with their companion branches pruned away because they were growing downward and making for too much congestion.

6 of the 8 vines have flower clusters growing on them. Of the two vines without flowers, one is 16" long and the other is about 12". I'm contemplating removing these two suckers-gone-wild, or at least cutting off their grow tips.

The whole reason for my concern is that from what I've read online, most people seem to prefer a maximum of 2 or 3 vines per plant. Considering this is my 1st year taking gardening seriously, I want to refer to those with more experience than myself.

Thanks for taking the time to help with all my questions! I appreciate it lots!

-Lyle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-12_13-01-54_695.jpg (292.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-12_12-57-42_784.jpg (104.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-12_12-57-59_415.jpg (94.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-12_12-58-16_415.jpg (88.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-12_12-58-38_856.jpg (116.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-12_12-59-16_603.jpg (155.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-12_12-59-41_409.jpg (177.8 KB, 51 views)
Old April 12, 2012   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

In looking at your new photos, I would definitely prune the one plant which is sprawling out.

There is no set "rule" as to 3 or 3 vertical stems - - I think one of personal preference and keeping the vines in check for good air circulation.

Your plants are looking great!!

Raybo
Old April 13, 2012   #9
Structure
Tomatovillian™

I prune all suckers to the first flower cluster. All leaves to that point too, but I leave them on until top growth is well underway. After that, I'm generally too busy to be bothering with much more than an occasional spray and water.
Structure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #10
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Alas, with this particular plant I'm not too sure what to do. I have already removed 2 vines that began as suckers, but that was easy because they didn't have any flowers on them yet. But the plant still has 6 vines, all with flowers and/or buds.

In the 2nd photo, you can see 2 vines growing from the main stem really low on the plant. It seems like these would be the obvious branches to remove... but they're rather tall and prolific and have flowers on them. However, one of those vines has grown outside of the cage and I don't think it's possible to get it back inside.

Hmm...
Old April 13, 2012   #11
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
In looking at your new photos, I would definitely prune the one plant which is sprawling out.

There is no set "rule" as to 3 or 3 vertical stems - - I think one of personal preference and keeping the vines in check for good air circulation.

Your plants are looking great!!

Raybo
Thanks Ray! Although I sweat the small stuff (Oh No! My tomato plants are growing too much!!! ), I'm really super happy and proud of my apartment balcony garden! I'll agree: my plants ARE looking great! The EarthTainers are proving to be as awesome as I had hoped!

Thank you for all the research and experimentation and engineering you've dedicated to the evolution of this container, not to mention creating the instruction manual. Because of it, I get to grow tomatoes in an otherwise tomato-unfriendly, drought-stricken, scorching-hot region.

-Lyle

Tags
earthtainer , prune , pruning , sucker , suckers