Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 7, 2016   #1
nnavarra61
Tomatovillian™

Default Whoops

I was using seeds purchased last year & wanted to plump them a bit & jump start the germination process using a moist paper environment. Unfortunately my family life got in the way (just kidding I grow so they can eat real tomatoes) and they got a lot further along than I wanted/expected. They are now about 1" and have sprouted their first leaves. Here's my question can I transplant these to my seed starting medium or should I bag it & start from scratch? Help/insight is greatly appreciated.
nnavarra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2016   #2
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I would definitely try planting them into your seed starter or loose growing medium. Bury them so their little heads stick out of the mix and water gently. Get them under a grow light or near another light source and I think you will know within a day or so if you need to reseed.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2016   #3
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Instead of trying to tease them from the paper toweling I would cut it around the seedlings and then plant into your potting mix with just the leaves poking out as Farmette says.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2016   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

agree with both of the above posts and I will add that it must be done immediately.
They may not do well but as above you will know within 48 hours. if they look sick, 86 them and resow.
Worth a try.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #5
nnavarra61
Tomatovillian™

I put all the germinated seeds in seed starter mix & watered last night. Thanks to all of you for your input & advice. Keep your fingers crossed for me they weren't dead this morning.
nnavarra61 is offline   Reply With Quote