Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 11, 2015   #1
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Default Earthbox...insight please

I am adding a small "in ground" garden this year but will continue with container gardening, especially with dwarf tomatoes this year. My question....I have looked at numerous diy boxes and the earthbox site. I do not have lots of tools and limited ability(lol) with diy....so is it better to purchase the boxes...they come to around 37 per box with shipping or do I try a diy? I want something that is going to last, have no "plastics" that will leach, and will work effectively without having to redo, etc, every year. Those of you that have had direct experience with earthboxes and diy boxes please give your opinion. Thanks!
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #2
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Sorry...this should have been posted in container growing...will watch better next time where I post
Old March 11, 2015   #3
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Default DIY is super simple

I've gone DIY with no regrets. It was super easy, took me about an hour a box. It took me that long because I am not skilled in the construction area. I used gray 37 gallon plastic bins. I did not use two bins per box. I used one, using a cut out from the lid for my platform. My bins are now four years old and still fine. I went larger because I wanted to put a couple of plants in them and wanted a larger reservoir. I also like that they are higher, I can tend things without bending.

Earthboxes IMO are extremely overpriced. My homegrown solution was $15 including the soil mix.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
I've gone DIY with no regrets. It was super easy, took me about an hour a box. It took me that long because I am not skilled in the construction area. I used gray 37 gallon plastic bins. I did not use two bins per box. I used one, using a cut out from the lid for my platform. My bins are now four years old and still fine. I went larger because I wanted to put a couple of plants in them and wanted a larger reservoir. I also like that they are higher, I can tend things without bending.

Earthboxes IMO are extremely overpriced. My homegrown solution was $15 including the soil mix.

Stacy
What tools do you need?
Not that I dont have enough just asking for others.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #5
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Yes...I would like to know tools and maybe what directions you used
Old March 11, 2015   #6
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

If you build your own, don't cheap out on the container. Get the best one you can afford. I bought a "Bargain" container when I built mine and it only lasted 2 years. I then went with the official Earthbox and have not regretted spending the extra money. They are built to last. My oldest one is now 8 years old and I haven't seen any age related problems with it yet other than I think it's time to dump the potting mix and start completely fresh rather than renew it like I usually do. It didn't seem to be wicking properly last year. I suppose 7 seasons with the same mix is pretty good.

Raybo's instructions for building your own Earthtainer are in a thread in the container forum. You'll want to download and read it if you are thinking of building your own. It's an excellent guide to go by when building your container. Ray's a member here and is very helpful if you run into problems or have specific questions about his box. Good luck!

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdermom View Post
Yes...I would like to know tools and maybe what directions you used

I have been looking for a video for you but every one of them is horrible.
I cant even stand to look at the first minute.
Maybe some of these people get drunk and decide to make a movie.

Here is Raybo's instructions.
http://www.tomatoville.com/attachmen...5&d=1279348416

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; March 11, 2015 at 08:45 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #8
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for Earthbox. I have a dozen of them and they are built to last. IMO they are well worth the price I paid for them. Before I had grown even a season in them my plan was to hire someone to build me larger boxes, like Earthtainers since I also grow tomatoes. However, once I got to planting the EBs up and moving them around I decided I didn't want any more weight. Also with the EBs you can buy casters which, if you have them on concrete makes moving very easy.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #9
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

If you are going DIY and want subirrigated, Raybo's Earthtainer and the Global Buckets design need to be a a part of the conversation. 2 best "2 bucket" designs available. I have built more than 20 of each. Complete plans readily available.
I have seen good one bucket designs as well, and Stacey has one that works for her.
Earthbox - haven't used one yet, but I just might order several this weekend. That or grow bags. Maybe some of both. Missed my window of opportunity to build more 'tainers. No time now before planting.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #10
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

I read about the earthtainer here...great instruction,etc, but with my limited access to tools and knowledge to use I began to look at earthbox. Also it stated the earthtainer were around 38 ..the earthbox would be around 37 if I got 3. I am also concerned about possible "leaching" from some of the materials used in different diy. I know they are expensive...guess I am trying to decide what will cost less in the long haul and easier for me. How do your vegetables do in them?
Old March 11, 2015   #11
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

You may wish to look at global buckets.
Rfdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #12
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I was undecided, as you are also. Not many tools and not very handy with them either. I decided to just buy a few EBs and see how the whole concept actually worked and that worked well for me. I do not regret going with EBs or paying for them. After you try a few out, then if you want more, you can take a look at DIY systems. I also agree that out the door, the buckets look about a hundred times easier, but they really are not large enough for tomatoes except dwarves.
Old March 11, 2015   #13
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

If comparing soil they hold...do the EB hold about twice that bucket diy hold?
Old March 11, 2015   #14
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

You can get pretty close to 2 cubic feet of potting mix into an Earthbox. I think that is quite a bit more than two 5 gallon buckets but I don't grow in buckets so don't really know.
Old March 11, 2015   #15
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

How many tomatoes do you grow in each..2 dwarf?