Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 25, 2015   #1
TressJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Organization and Storage of seeds

My seed collection has grown thanks to some kind and generous TV enablers and I would like to know how you organize your seeds, what you store them in and where you store them?
TressJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

In 2 inch plastic bags inside 2.5 inch by 3.5 inch coin envelopes in alphabetic order in baseball card sleeves in a binder. Wow what a run on sentence.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

pocket style photograph albums work well. I have one for cherries, one for dwarfs, one for hearts....etc etc etc. for my personal tomato seed collection. For larger amounts, larger packages and larger seeds I have 2 Rubbermaid stackable plastic storage drawer things. works for me.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #4
joseph
Tomatovillian™

My seeds are stored in the seed room.

And in the kitchen freezer, and in the downstairs freezer, and in the garage, and in the truck, and on the kitchen tables, and under the computer desk, and in the master bedroom, and in the spare bedroom, and at my mother's and in the barn, and at my brothers, and in the shed, and in the garage, and in the truck, and in the jeep.

They are stored in bins, and boxes, and bags, and sacks, and trays, and tubs, and tool-boxes, and mason jars, and bowls, and ammo cans...

Bulk seeds are mostly stored in glass jars with steel lids. Small seeds like tomatoes are mostly stored in plastic zip-lock bags.

There ain't no database, nor list... I tend to put like things together. So all the tomatoes that I want to plant in about 3 weeks are in the same ziplock bag together. The beans that I want to plant this year are all in the same tote.

I have a few totes that are "Not going to plant". They are older seed from my breeding projects, or things people sent that I trialed and didn't like, or junk from swaps, or great stuff from swaps that I don't want to plant.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2015   #5
TressJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
My seeds are stored in the seed room.

And in the kitchen freezer, and in the downstairs freezer, and in the garage, and in the truck, and on the kitchen tables, and under the computer desk, and in the master bedroom, and in the spare bedroom, and at my mother's and in the barn, and at my brothers, and in the shed, and in the garage, and in the truck, and in the jeep.

They are stored in bins, and boxes, and bags, and sacks, and trays, and tubs, and tool-boxes, and mason jars, and bowls, and ammo cans...

Bulk seeds are mostly stored in glass jars with steel lids. Small seeds like tomatoes are mostly stored in plastic zip-lock bags.

There ain't no database, nor list... I tend to put like things together. So all the tomatoes that I want to plant in about 3 weeks are in the same ziplock bag together. The beans that I want to plant this year are all in the same tote.

I have a few totes that are "Not going to plant". They are older seed from my breeding projects, or things people sent that I trialed and didn't like, or junk from swaps, or great stuff from swaps that I don't want to plant.
That works
Old March 26, 2015   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Disorganization and storage of seeds is my method, but I'm not going to explain what I do and don't do, other than 2x3 zip baggies with pink labels inside, as any more would likely confuse those that do and maybe even those that don't organize, and it would also add to a run on sentence longer than that of heirloomtomaguy, who may be able to figure out one of the ones who put in the word for that seed collection, and may want to contact me as to what to do with the bulk packs of seeds in that collection, and before I get into too much thread drift, what was this threads focus on, again?

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2015   #7
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the good work Gary. Will do as soon ad it arrives. It was supposed to come yesterday but did not. Im on a small vacation for 2 days so im sure it will be there when i get home on Saturday that is after i make a quick stop at the tomatomania at Descanso gardens. You know just to look.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; March 26, 2015 at 09:58 PM.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #8
MacDuff
Tomatovillian™

Last year i ended up with ten cherry/pear plants and two Big Beef. This year I'm not going to lose track again. I took a stack of plastic labels , drilled a hole, put a bolt in and I have a fan, I put a number on each one. When I plant seeds I print a label and put it on one of the tabs. I put the number on another label and stick it into the seed tray. When i transplant i can just make up more ltags witht the number on it for each transplant. I also cut up a floor tile into three inch squares with a hole so that I can hang it onto the bucket (RGGS) with the number on it- it should help with a half dozen different tom and peppers.
MacDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #9
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

My seeds are kept in coin envelopes and small plastic zip lock bags and placed in a wooden box that has different compartments.
Old March 27, 2015   #10
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

All my seeds, whether in ziplocks, coin envelopes or commercial seeds packages, are further enclosed in a large letter envelope per variety. That way I can keep all sources and years for each variety together. Add a second envelope when needed if there is overflow. Lots of room for notes on the outside of the envelope as to the contents. Filed alphabetically in a large plastic tub with tight cover. Since all the envelopes are the same size, there is nothing to flop around and fall between the cracks.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #11
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

I use small zip lock bags, write on the outside whats in it, and then put those bags into empty peanut butter jars, close the lid and set them in the back of my fridge. Nice thing about the peanut butter jars I have labeled whats inside, however it can be kind of a mess to dig through a number of them if I'm only trying to find one kind.
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I use small ziplock bags with write-on blocks for labeling with all the stats (name, year, source, color, shape, etc).. If I have seeds of the same variety from multiple years or different sources, they each get their own little bag and they get taped together with blue tape.

Then I put the little bags into quart-sized ziplocks divided into categories -- cherries, earlies, small slicers, mid-size slicers, large slicers, and pastes.

The quart bags go into a plastic food storage tub that lives in the back of the fridge.

So far this is working for me.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #13
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

1. Open seed envelope and retrieve seeds.
2. Close seed envelope and toss in ginormous shoe box.
3. Sore box on floor of closet

Next season joyously empty entire box on bed and select the candidates.
Toss envelopes of repeat spitters.

I still have good germination rates so so far, so good.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #14
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

This year I organized about 158 varieties, some as old as 8 years, into screw-top plastic containers held in covered trays, labeled by variety, source, and year. These stay in a dedicated fridge kept at 40° and 40% humidity (using desiccant crystals). I like this method of organization; I hope the constant temp and humidity will help with seed viability over time.

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato_Seeds.JPG (160.3 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by GaryStPaul; March 28, 2015 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Trying to reduce size of image
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #15
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Mine are in individual bags all cramped in a recipe box, somewhere in the house.

I have had some seeds out in the shed and they germinated fine. few days ago I sowed some Fenugreek seeds that were in the shed for couple of year. They are germinating.

Of all the seeds I know allums are time sensitive.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote