Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 3, 2015   #1
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Default Soi As a Medium

Traditionally plants have been grown in Soil.

WHAT IS SOIL:

Soil consists of 2 parts :
1- disintegrated and fine particles from rock. Our planet at some time consisted of rocks (the Third Rock From The Sun). Over thousands and thousands of years these rocks fell apart and made the inorganic soil, which contained naturally occurring elements (minerals ).

2- Organic soil.
When the plants and animals life started to form on Earth and grow (in inorganic soil), little by little the remains formed what is called TOP SOIL. TS is really a mixture/blend of the organic and organic components . Some times rain and run off water accumulated it in some places more.

Soil Is a Medium.
Soil is just a medium in which plants grow roots and draw moisture the nutrients that they need. Today they grow plants hydroponically , meaning in water. Now the water becomes a medium. They add the nutrients that the plants need to water, controlling the pH and the plants' needs are satisfied.

Soil Less Medium.
Some plants like Orchids naturally grow on tree tops, where there is no soil. Nowadays orchids are grown in pots using barks (No soil)

Another example of Soil less medium is peat moss and pine/fir bark base potting mixes. I use a potting mix that consists of 5 parts pine bark, 1 part peat moss and 1 part perlite. These components practically have ZERO nutrients until it is added. You may try to raise the pH by adding Dolomitic (Fast Acting) lime This is a dry equivalent of of hydroponic medium that holds the right amount of moisture and the nutrients that the plants need.
Same can be applied to any garden soil. The fundamental is the same :
Provide the plants the nutrients they need with the right amount of moisture, you can grow just about anything you want in any soil within a range of pH.

Source of Nutrients:
The source of nutrients might be derived from organic matter (manures, compost, fish, bone ..etc) or from synthetic material. Now if you are an organic purist you would want to use just the organic fertilizer. Some gardeners use a combination of both (manures, synthetics). It is a personal choice and preference.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Good points. I look at the organic matter as storage for nutrients that are not immediately needed. If you grow hydroponically, it is your responsibility to provide nutrient, in solution, daily to meet the plants needs. Real soil holds the majority of nutrients adsorbed to the organic fraction, or to clay mineral surfaces to a lesser degree. Fresh water encourages a small portion of the nutrients to be released into solution where the roots can pick it up. I suspect that there are many symbiotic relationships between roots and fungus that allow the root to pluck nutrients off the soil grains directly, rather than having to wait till one is released into solution on its own. I know almost all trees do, not sure about annual plants as much.

There is a finite capacity of any soil to holding nutrients on their surfaces. You generally want these holdings to contain N, P, K, Ca, some Mg and a little bit of the essential trace elements. You do not want these holding sites on the soil to contain Hydrogen ions, hydroxide ions, aluminum, lead arsenic antimony etc. For one, because it displaces the good stuff, and 2, they can be toxic to the plant. The primary reason we are shooting for a middle of the road pH for most plants is to maximize the good stuff and minimize the bad stuff adsorbed to the soils holding capacity.
Yes, I understand I have oversimplified to some degree.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

G and S....since we are have a science class here...please explain to me what chemicals/ingredients are used in synthetic fertilizers. I have no clue how they come up with the "blends"...and what they use.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
G and S....since we are have a science class here...please explain to me what chemicals/ingredients are used in synthetic fertilizers. I have no clue how they come up with the "blends"...and what they use.
Here is one of them.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.b2w&cad=rja
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #5
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

A lot to say about the subject, a subject with which Im not an expert.

I did find this which seems to be pretty well written. Even though I think it was written for kids, I found it enlightening.
http://www.ncagr.gov/cyber/kidswrld/plant/nutrient.htm
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
I am not familiar with te manufacturing methods/processes . But I think they make N, P, K ... separately and then mix them at their desired ratio. That is why in granular form you see different colors.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote