Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 5, 2015   #1
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

Default What should I put my plants in next?

Hello all,

My plants are starting to get a bit bigger now and will need bigger pots to be placed in.

They are all indoors as of right now, as the weather is still iffy here, and probably will be until the end of April.

I plan on putting them in a gallon pot, but I am unsure of what to plant them IN, as in what kind of soil/mixture to use. I have been told not to buy the 'brand' name 'junk' and the local nurseries still don't have anything in yet, was told in a week or two.

Anyways, what kind of mixture should I be looking for? I will eventually be putting my plants in a raised plant bed, once the weather is proper.

Thanks!
Ghawdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2015   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Go get you a bag of Miracle Grow or similar product at Lowes or Wally World. Those plants only need room to expand their root systems and a little bit of fertilizer. I don't know who told you not to get the "Brand Name" stuff, but I've been doing the Brand Name stuff for decades. It works quite well and is not as expensive as some of the "Not Brand Name" products.

Thinking about some of those complicated formulas for potting mix gives me a headache. Takes away from my fishing and golfing time.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2015   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Just stay away from the Miracle Grow Moisture Control stuff. The regular Miracle Grow Potting Mix is what you should look for.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I second : NO Moisture Control.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Agree on the "NO MOISTURE CONTROL" stuff.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #6
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

What negative effect does the "moisture control" soil have?
Rfdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #7
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Many growers are not aware of how "moisture control" type potting mixes actually work. It is not magic. The "polymer" balls inserted into the mix absorbs moisture. Those polymer balls hold that moisture to be used later and SLOWLY released back into the mix over much time. It actually does work. However, this is what contributes to the slow-draining muck in the bottom of your pot. Haven't you noticed that muck when you dump those pots out? Roots will not grow in that crap (no aeration). Adding broken glass, sand, marbles, or rocks to the bottom does not help! I use this mix ONLY for my wife's hanging baskets that are subjected to drying on all sides...because she uses the "open" framed baskets with the "coir type" mat that dries out the mix very quickly. Hope this helps...
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #8
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

If you have a hydroponics store anywhere near you they carry quality soil year round. If your lookin to not buy soil from the big box stores.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #9
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

I did some research, and went to my local hydroponic store. I ended up getting Foxfarm ocean forest.
Ghawdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #10
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I also use commerically bagged potting MIX. I think the key is to use potting MIX (not potting soil.)