Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 6, 2015   #1
budfaux
Tomatovillian™

Default Google em, google em!

Last week I took five tomato plants to the Japanese woman who cuts my hair, as I did the previous year. A ten minute usual lasted close to an hour.
She asked me if I knew about "em". I had no clue. "Google it, Google it!"
I left with a 64oz. container she gave me, and she said I could reproduce the contents. Her English is sometimes tough to digest, but I believe she was trying to get across this was a beneficial reproductive bacteria, I guess like how my mom used to reproduce sourdough. She couldn't stop talking about it!
After seaching... I realized she was trying to steer me toward checking out "effective microorganisms".
I haven't had the time to delve in too deep yet..watched a couple of short YouTube vids and did a quick read on some sites.
I did use the search function here and nothing came up.
I realize this is probably antiquated news to most of you T'Villians, but I'm curious as to any opinions, applications, experiences...
It seems to be a pretty deep topic. (and sorry if this has been hashed and rehashed before... I found no prior info.
budfaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #2
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I understand enough about EM despite reading up a lot on it. I did try Bokashi last year. I'm going check this weekend how well, the stuff broke down after the winter...
There is a Facebook group that is all about it...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/241621115997376/
Old April 7, 2015   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfaux View Post
Last week I took five tomato plants to the Japanese woman who cuts my hair, as I did the previous year. A ten minute usual lasted close to an hour.
She asked me if I knew about "em". I had no clue. "Google it, Google it!"
I left with a 64oz. container she gave me, and she said I could reproduce the contents. Her English is sometimes tough to digest, but I believe she was trying to get across this was a beneficial reproductive bacteria, I guess like how my mom used to reproduce sourdough. She couldn't stop talking about it!
After seaching... I realized she was trying to steer me toward checking out "effective microorganisms".
I haven't had the time to delve in too deep yet..watched a couple of short YouTube vids and did a quick read on some sites.
I did use the search function here and nothing came up.
I realize this is probably antiquated news to most of you T'Villians, but I'm curious as to any opinions, applications, experiences...
It seems to be a pretty deep topic. (and sorry if this has been hashed and rehashed before... I found no prior info.
Just a different form of compost that doesn't have many of the restrictions your regular compost may have. It is anaerobic but it is anaerobic with beneficial fermenting microorganisms. So you can compost meat scraps dairy products and such along with your veggies without producing botulism, stink and such. That's kind of the simplified explanation. If she gave it to you, be thankful. The starter is expensive!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=myco+blast

Some background on beneficial organisms in soil.

Last edited by kurt; April 7, 2015 at 05:15 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote