Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 7, 2015   #1
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

Default Grow list advice - major cutback on number of plants this year!

I have to limit myself to 6 large tomato plants (for my community garden plot) and 1-2 cherry-type tomato plants (for containers at home). After growing 30-40 plants of 20-30 varieties for the last several years, I am having trouble narrowing down my grow list!

However, in past years, I have grown so many that it got hard for me to keep them picked at the peak of ripeness and there were, unfortunately, some plants for which I never tried a single fruit. In additon, I couldn't give them all the care they needed, so some didn't grow as well as they might have with more attention. So, at least with fewer plants, I should really get a chance to enjoy what I plant.

So here is what I am thinking of.

Community Garden Plot:
1. Bulgarian Triumph
2. KBX
3. Indian Stripe
4. Anna Russian
5. Red Brandywine
6. TBD

(Slight cheat here, my friend who I share the plot with is growing 2 each of Jaune Flamme and Japanese Black Trifele so I will also have access to these varieties grown under the same conditions as my own.)

Containers at Home:
7. Matt's Wild Cherry
8. Sweet Orange II

Others I am considering (either for the TBD slot or instead of one of the others):

Pruden's Purple
Cuostralee
Eva Purple Ball
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Cowlick Brandywine
Maya & Sion’s Airdrie Classic
Hays
Little Lucky
Blush
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka

I'd appreciate others thoughts on what I should (or shouldn't) grow. I'm in Zone 5, New Hampshire.

Thanks!
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #2
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I am not sure what TBD is. Pruden's Purple and Cowlick were great tomatoes for me, Produced more than 10 pounds each, but mostly at the end of the season. Pruden's Purple and Cowlick are both Potato Leaf plants. Will look different than the rest of the plants. I would use one of them instead of Red Brandywine.
Generally your list is pretty good.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #3
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I am not sure what TBD is.
To be determined = TBD

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Cuostralee.... definitely!

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #5
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

You are in New Hampshire and are still getting out of a horrid winter. Your season is likely going to be shorter so I would dump everything that has longer seasons. Dump the Brandywines for sure. Definitely keep Indian Stripe.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I would definitely add Pruden's Purple. It is a very productive fairly early great tasting tomato. As a matter of fact I think I would plant at least two of them. Since you are so far north you might want to consider a couple of blacks that do really well down here in the fall and they are Carbon and Pink Berkley Tie Dye.

Since you have such a short season I would eliminate any that didn't produce a decent crop of vine ripe fruit before frost. I like Red Brandywine but even down here in our oppressive heat it can be really late. Cowlick's on the other hand is not especially late and would fall in the middle as to DTM.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think Red Brandywine is multiple varieties, depending on what seed company you get it from. I am trying the Landis Valley strain this year.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #8
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your advice so far. I am definitely concerned about productivity and quality (e.g., great taste) in my climate, given that I am limited to only a few plants. I can't waste space on something that could be marginal.

Berkeley Tie Die sounds especially good, but I'm worried about not being able to get seed quickly enough. I really should be starting them this weekend. I may order some seed anyway and use it next year.

It sounds like I should drop both Brandywines, as well as KBX and Bulgarian Triumph since all can be on the later side (I'm finding it hard to tell in some cases, since DTM varies so much based on climate). We can have some pretty wet/blustery weather in early June, so I need varieties that won't get set back too much. At the same time, we can have some stretches of 90 degree weather and my plot gets direct sun.

Here are my latest thoughts (all varieties for which I have seed on hand):

Main Crop:
1. Anna Russian
2. Prudens Purple
3. Indian Stripe
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

Home in Pots
1. Matt's Wild Cherry
2. Blush

I'd like a Yellow or Orange with good flavor, besides KBX, I have seed for Orange Minsk and Casey's Pure Yellow. I'd also like at least one red, I know tha I have seed for Ludmillas's Red Plum and Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic.
Old April 9, 2015   #9
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I thought Bulgarian Triumph was an early-midseason tomato that can take cooler temps! I'm growing it this year, really for the first time. (I grew it once before in a container, but didn't start seeds until late June, so got only a few tomatoes before it got cold in October.) I'm also growing Maya & Sion's Airdrie Classic, which is supposed to be even earlier.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #10
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

I saw it listed as late on a few different sites.
Old April 9, 2015   #11
parah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I would definitely add Pruden's Purple. It is a very productive fairly early great tasting tomato. As a matter of fact I think I would plant at least two of them.
Bill
Yes, YES. Early, big, and tasty.... maybe plant three.

Bill, have you tried Liz Birt? I thought it was a little tastier than Pruden's Purple and just as big, early, tough and productive, but I need to compare a few more seasons to be sure. How did it tolerate your heat and humidity?
parah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by parah View Post
Yes, YES. Early, big, and tasty.... maybe plant three.

Bill, have you tried Liz Birt? I thought it was a little tastier than Pruden's Purple and just as big, early, tough and productive, but I need to compare a few more seasons to be sure. How did it tolerate your heat and humidity?
I've never grown it but it sounds great. If it is tastier and tougher than Pruden's it should be a good one.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #13
parah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I've never grown it but it sounds great. If it is tastier and tougher than Pruden's it should be a good one.

Bill
Camochef kept mentioning it, and mentioning it,
and listed it in his Top 3 for pinks, above Barlow Jap!

Well, I should have tried it years ago, it seemes to have a richer umami flavor than Pruden's Purple
It set fruit well in in the hot dry 100 degree heat, I hope it can handle the summer humidity.

Strange name, but good pedigree: Brandywine X Cherokee Purple by Keith Mueller
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Liz_Birt

Last edited by parah; April 10, 2015 at 11:34 AM.
parah is offline   Reply With Quote