Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 8, 2015   #1
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

Default Some beginner questions

Hello everyone,

I'm going to start another grow in the upcoming weeks, and have some questions.

1) How many seeds do you put in each pellet when growing your seedlings?

2) How many varieties do you do, and of that variety, do you just do one packet or two packets, or more?

3) What kind of soil is best to use for your seedlings, and when the first true leaves show, what should you use following that?

4) Once true leaves show, what is the recommend pot size to put them in?

5) This will be completely for my work in progress indoor room, what would be the best size pot for each plant? would a 5 gallon bucket for each be enough?

Thank you everyone!
Ghawdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

If you watch these first 5 videos, then scale it down to 2-3 seeds of one type in a cell, youll be ahead of the game by far. These should answer all your questions, and I find the videos fascinating. More important, they work. Most of us have lots of varieties and do not use a whole packet of seeds, just 2-3 to make sure at least one germinates. I grew 87 varieties this season.
My potting medium of choice is Promix BX, my seeds are all started with any seed starting potting mix.
Watch these! http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghawdex View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm going to start another grow in the upcoming weeks, and have some questions.

1) How many seeds do you put in each pellet when growing your seedlings?

2) How many varieties do you do, and of that variety, do you just do one packet or two packets, or more?

3) What kind of soil is best to use for your seedlings, and when the first true leaves show, what should you use following that?

4) Once true leaves show, what is the recommend pot size to put them in?

5) This will be completely for my work in progress indoor room, what would be the best size pot for each plant? would a 5 gallon bucket for each be enough?

Thank you everyone!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Also, if you are going to keep them indoors, I would recommend dwarf varieties since the growth is more manageable, and you will need a good artificial light source. Not enough light means not much of a crop. For dwarfs a 5 gallon bucket is OK, just be sure to add dolomitic lime(garden lime),about 1 cup, and a fertilizer such as composted manure( not raw manure) at a ratio of 70% potting mix, and 30% manure. Also supplement with a good tomato or vegetable fertilizer about every 2-3 weeks.
Dwarfs have delicious full sized tomatoes on them.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

What is your plan for lighting?

I would definitely grow only dwarfs and compact varieties.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote