Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 10, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Root Ripping ?

I went down to visit with a neighbor who is putting in her tomatoes and peppers into the ground.

She pulled her little 6 pack plants out and literally ripped each root sytem right in half and stuck it in the ground. I stood there in shock watching her do this.

When I transplant, maybe I baby too much, but I will sit there and gently try and loosen the roots up and spread them out nicely in their new homes.

Does anybody else just rip to almost nothing and stuff? Doesn't that set back the plants or hurt them in some way?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #2
JoParrott

That sounds a bit extreme, but I also always disturb the roots a bit- I believe it stimulates the roots to put out new growth. Some plants will not do that on their own. Many times I have seen plants that have the same roots when they are pulled up. Does she have good luck with her plants? If she does, then maybe it's a good thing!
Old April 10, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have planted 2 plants in one 4 inch container and at plant out I just rip the two plants apart.
Tomatoes are not that sensitive.
Try it with other plants like cucumbers and they will belly up on you.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I went down to visit with a neighbor who is putting in her tomatoes and peppers into the ground.

She pulled her little 6 pack plants out and literally ripped each root sytem right in half and stuck it in the ground. I stood there in shock watching her do this.

When I transplant, maybe I baby too much, but I will sit there and gently try and loosen the roots up and spread them out nicely in their new homes.

Does anybody else just rip to almost nothing and stuff? Doesn't that set back the plants or hurt them in some way?
If the seedlings were in 6 packs and had been around a long time waiting for someone to buy them then no doubt the roots were actually rootbound and by ripping them in half it was actually good for the root system since it allows for new roots to form and have more access to nutrients and water.

I used to do the same thing many years ago when I was growing seedlings in those net things, I forgot the name, and also when I would grow seedlings in peat pots. I'd rip off the peat pot and then rip the roots apart.

The above were times when usually for weather concerns I couln't plant out when they should have been planted so indeed they got rootbound,

Carolyn
Old April 10, 2015   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I've pruned the roots on severely root bound potted plants like perennial herbs but not on vegetables. I don't baby them, I will loosen the roots if there are circling roots. After working to build a nice root system on a transplant I don't see the point of ripping the roots off the plant when transplanting to its final home.
If you prune the roots ( or rip them) they will recover but it will set growth back a bit. There is also the problem of transplant shock.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

If you don't rip the heavily root bound ball, and plant it, It will take it a looong time for it to realize that there are opportunities out there beyond that small root block. Ripping such plant might give it a shock and short term set back but eventually it will do more good than harm.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

The worst are trees grown in nursery containers. Circling roots pretty much guarantee premature demise if they arent dealt with at transplant time.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
I've pruned the roots on severely root bound potted plants like perennial herbs but not on vegetables. I don't baby them, I will loosen the roots if there are circling roots. After working to build a nice root system on a transplant I don't see the point of ripping the roots off the plant when transplanting to its final home.
If you prune the roots ( or rip them) they will recover but it will set growth back a bit. There is also the problem of transplant shock.
Ray, I didn't rip the roots OFF the plant as you said above, that would be premeditated tomatocide, which I'm not capable of doing.

Rather, with both hands I would seperate the root ball, but the roots are still attached to the plant.

Carolyn
Old April 10, 2015   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

She wasn't hurting them. I usually disturb or even rip them apart when planting if they are root bound. I haven't killed them doing that. Tomatoes are pretty hardy, but peppers need to have a little more care while planting.
Old April 10, 2015   #10
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
That sounds a bit extreme, but I also always disturb the roots a bit- I believe it stimulates the roots to put out new growth. Some plants will not do that on their own. Many times I have seen plants that have the same roots when they are pulled up. Does she have good luck with her plants? If she does, then maybe it's a good thing!
I have heard that tomatoes like to be played with and that the more you do the better they grow. No she doesn't really. She didn't have too much of anything grow last year and what little bit she did have , it took forever to grow and I don't think she had much produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
If the seedlings were in 6 packs and had been around a long time waiting for someone to buy them then no doubt the roots were actually rootbound and by ripping them in half it was actually good for the root system since it allows for new roots to form and have more access to nutrients and water.

I used to do the same thing many years ago when I was growing seedlings in those net things, I forgot the name, and also when I would grow seedlings in peat pots. I'd rip off the peat pot and then rip the roots apart.

The above were times when usually for weather concerns I couln't plant out when they should have been planted so indeed they got rootbound,

Carolyn
I really didn't think these were all that root bound. They were just starting to circle at the bottom and there weren't that many roots all on the sides, you could more than see plenty of dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
I guess that is the way I feel, which is why I try and gently work the roots back and forth to loosen them up. When growing in pots, I spend alot of time transplanting and re-transplanting. I try and catch things if I can before they get really root bound until they go into there forever home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
If you don't rip the heavily root bound ball, and plant it, It will take it a looong time for it to realize that there are opportunities out there beyond that small root block. Ripping such plant might give it a shock and short term set back but eventually it will do more good than harm.

Gardeneer
By the time she got done with her ripping, she barely had a rootball the width and height of a quarter.

With tomatoes easily diseased and munched on by insects I would think that you would be asking for major problems leaving only. such a tiny amount of root.
Old April 10, 2015   #11
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Ray, I didn't rip the roots OFF the plant as you said above, that would be premeditated tomatocide, which I'm not capable of doing.

Rather, with both hands I would seperate the root ball, but the roots are still attached to the plant.

Carolyn
Carolyn, I wasn't referring to you ripping the roots off, it was Starlight's abusive neighbor. I know you are a gentle soul and would never be so cruel to a tomato plant.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have to admit I went back and re-read the post.
No I dont just rip the plants out with no regard to them or their roots.
I try to be careful but yes I will pull the plants apart if I have to.

I dont want anyone here thinking I am cruel to plants.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #13
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have to admit I went back and re-read the post.
No I dont just rip the plants out with no regard to them or their roots.
I try to be careful but yes I will pull the plants apart if I have to.

I dont want anyone here thinking I am cruel to plants.

Worth
No, I sure didn't think that. I knew what ya meant. I must have been day dreaming when I seeded one tray as I had two seeds in several rows come up together and when it came transplant time, I loosened roots and pulled them apart and planted them.

All them folks that do mass seeding in one pot all have to pull part too.
Old April 11, 2015   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

If I have 2 tomato seedlings growing at about 1 to 2 inches apart, I would just rip the thing at the middle and do transplant/plant out. NEVER had any failure.

If you really are fussy about it, you can soak the thing in water for a while and start shaking and gently pulling apart, leaving the roots intact. I do this with things like squash and cucumbers, not tomatoes.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote