Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 31, 2010   #1
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Default Actinovate for fusarium wilt race 3?

Has anyone had success with this product for race 3? Thanks to Darrel J's suggestions last year I did have some success with a tolerant variety (Amelia) and abt 2/3 of the plants lived to produce a few tomatoes each.

Can't tell you how much I hate spraying anything for disease or insect control, but I'm going to this year.

Thanks,
jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

The most effective organic control of Fusariun Wilt that I have read about is "RootShield" which uses Trichoderma harzianum strain T22. Heres a link. Ami

http://www.growquest.com/rootshield_home.htm
Old January 31, 2010   #3
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

I can be wrong but I thought the following was where Fusarium 3 has been found. Are you saying it is in Missouri too?

Dennis

California
Louisiana
Ohio
Florida
Ohio
North Carolina
Austalia
Mexico

mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #4
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ami & Dennis,

Thanks for replies!

Is it race 3? I think so, but have never paid to have testing done, plus don't know where to send samples. And am reasonably sure that what I have can be spread by insects because I'm a container gardener and have sterilized my containers, used new soil mix and placed containers on a plastic weed guard material that would keep the roots from contacting the soil.

If it can be found as far north as Ohio I don't see why it couldn't be in Missouri. We did have a day or two of below zero weather this winter, but because of heavy snow cover at the time doubt was cold enough to kill it.

And I've planted traded seeds from someone that did have his plants tested & was positive for race 3. Didn't have the problem previous to that.

Regards,
jt
Old January 31, 2010   #5
RandyG
Tomatovillian™

If you grew 'Amelia' and had fusarium symptoms, you have something different from fusarium wilt races 1, 2, or 3. Amelia has resistance to all 3 races of fusarium wilt currently known (I, !-2, and I-3 genes) as well as root knot nematodes and TSWV. another hybrid with all these resistances is 'Crista', which came from my tomato breeding program and was selected as the 2008 Texas Rodeo tomato. Fusarium crown rot is another disease caused by a strain of fusarium very similar to the one that causes fusarium wilt and could be a possibility. This disease is widespread in greenhouse production and occurs in field production in southwest Florida during the winter. There is another gene needed for control of fusarium crown rot. It has been bred into a lot of greenhouse varieties and a few field varieties.
RandyG.
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #6
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Remember that resistance is not immunity.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #7
RandyG
Tomatovillian™

Although resistance to fusarium wilt is not immunity, the R genes I, !-2, and I-3 provide a very high level of resistance to races 1, 2, and 3 of fusarium wilt, respectively, even when they are in heterozygous condition in hybrids. I have never seen fusarium wilt under field conditions when these 3 genes are present in a variety. If you do have fusarium wilt present with these 3 genes incorporated into a variety, you would most likely have a new race (race4) of fusarium wilt.
RandyG.
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #8
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Randy
So shouldn't Love2 use a fungacide for crown root rot - does root shield actinivate hit it?
Dennis

Last edited by mtbigfish; February 1, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old February 1, 2010   #9
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering if anyone has used Mycostop?

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/my...fungicide.html
Old February 1, 2010   #10
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

yes and it can be used for root, stem, seed but it costs about $35 for 5 grams
Old February 2, 2010   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

2 grams is $16.95. and at the below application rates it seems a little goes along ways. Ami

Use Mycostop for the treatment of seeds, transplants and established plants. For the treatment of small seedling production apply at a rate of 1 - 2 grams / 1000 sq. ft. For established plants at 1 - 3 grams / 500 sq. ft. OMRI Listed for use in organic production.
Old February 2, 2010   #12
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Mtbigfish, ami
Thanks for the replies. Without this sounding sarcastic – I read the info on the Mycostop web page. I was trying to find out if anyone has actually used it and what the results were.
Old February 2, 2010   #13
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

It's a lot further than that. It is up here in NY and NJ as well.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2010   #14
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
yes and it can be used for root, stem, seed but it costs about $35 for 5 grams
Jerry
I have used it and it seems to work alright but ran out - thinking about restocking but the cost at 2oz for $18 or 5 oz at $35 trying to decide but iot does go a long way unless you do multiple innoculations

I also use actinavate and serenade

Ami has a routine he uses but couldn't find his thread
Not sure if he uses at seeding, on new seedlings, at transplant, and 30 days in the ground etc he can let us know or all of these times

Thanks
Dennis
Old February 3, 2010   #15
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Mtbigfish, ami
Thanks for the replies. Without this sounding sarcastic – I read the info on the Mycostop web page. I was trying to find out if anyone has actually used it and what the results were.
Briefly back to Actinovate... http://www.amazon.com/Actinovate-Org.../dp/B0026KSLG2 No reviews there either. 2 oz treats up to 550 plants and I'm hoping to increase my usual 20 tomato containers up to 30 this year, but might change my mind. The soil mix I use (ProMix BX) comes innoculated with mycorrhizal fungi and I suppose that will get killed by the Actinovate.

Guess I'll order a 2 oz pkt today. I need some other unrelated stuff so the shipping will be free.

Thanks