Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 23, 2008   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default hot sauce

i must have spent more than $100 buying different "hot sauces" over the past 2-3 months. i guess the term is generic!

the hottest sauce i ever had is not a hot sauce but is called "szechuan spicy" stir fry sauce by "house of tsang". this is hot!

but as far as red pepper sauce i can not find one that is really hot. i'm sure if i was in the south west this would not be a problem. how can i find something HOT?

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2008   #2
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Dave's Insanity Sauce! But be careful. I have had a bottle in the fridge for about 10 years and it's about 1/2 full. A couple drops in a pot of chili does the trick. My buddy Mike put a dollop about the size of a quarter on a chicken wing. I told him not to do it....don't do it Mike! He tossed the wing in the garbage and then put about a dime size worth on another one. He could not talk for close to an hour. Seriously. I laughed my butt off. Still laugh thinking about it.

Duane
Old December 23, 2008   #3
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Blair's makes some really hot sauces with name like After Death and Mega Death. The most famous being After 2 AM, I think. There is a very interesting story behind the name.
You can check out their products at www.extremefood.com

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2008   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Most of those "extreme" hot sauces get that hot because they put pepper extract in the sauce. But because that stuff is quite bitter, it tends to kill the flavor of anything else in the sauce.

I've been making a hot sauce with just a blend of hot peppers. I use about 50-100 varieties of peppers and keep the habaneros family peppers to about 40% of the blend so the sauce isn't bitter.

While my sauce is about as hot as you can get with just natural peppers, it isn't a threat to things like Dave's insanity. But where mine excells is in decent flavor. You can still taste some of the different flavors of the chiles if your heat tolerance is high enough.

PM me if you would like a sample or I'll trade you an 8 oz jar for some tomato seeds.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2008   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i have heard of dave's insanity sauce and i think (?) i actually saw it years ago but i have no idea where.

i have to admit i am surprised at the low numbers the commercial hot sauces get, there's a website that listed them and the scoville units at http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

i bought a habenero pepper at the local farm stand in august and i was intrigued. it was red, shiny and wrinkled, i immediately recognized it from pictures in seed catalogs. i wanted just 1 and since they sold them by the pound i bought it for 4 cents! it sat in the fridge as i heemed and hawed about it. i know just how hot these things are. the low end they come in at 250,000 but there are some that are in the 650,000 area! rubber gloves and eye protection are a must when cutting these. in the end, i chickened out. it started to dry out, lost the shine so i threw it away. i wanted to cut up some flesh and add it to a bottle of hot sauce but i decided i might be playing with fire - literally. here's why....

a year ago if i put one drop of any hot sauce on anything i got serious sores in my mouth. i started to cook one or two drops in something as i know cooking cooks out the volitile oils in garlic or onions. slowly i was able to tolerate just a drop or 2. as time went on i added a bit more, then i actually put some directly (!) on the food! now i put a teaspoon to a tablespoon of these same sauces that i could not even tolerate a drop of on food. no problem! so this is why i tossed the haberno, here i am eating hot sauces with 2000 to 5000 scoville units of heat and i am going to mess with a haberno? insane.

so i may mince a tiny amount of haberno flesh this summer and try it in some hot sauce. i suspect i will be very very sorry. i might buy 1 pepper plant at a greenhouse if i find a pepper in the 30-40k units range and see how it grows but i'll get a lot more peppers than i can use. don't know anyone that would want any.

Wi-sunflower, i will pm you!

tom
Old December 23, 2008   #6
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I made this one this year. Great mustard based sauce. Good heat but not overpowering with my modification. Just up the Habs if you want it hotter.

Tom's "Lotties True Bajan Hot Sauce" Knockoff

12 md Habaneros, stemmed, seeded
[Earl-instead I use 2 Habanero and 10 Trinidad Perfume]
2 lg Cayenne peppers, stemmed, seeded
[Earl-instead I use 2 goat horn]
1 15 oz can sliced Mango, drained
1 c Cheap Yellow mustard
1/4 c Brown sugar, packed
5 tb White vinegar
1 tb Curry powder
2 ts Cumin
1 tb Chili powder
1 ts Salt, or to taste
1 ts Fresh ground black pepper
Lotties True Bajan Premium Hot Pepper Sauce has been my favorite hot sauce for years. Early in 1996, my sources for this started to dry up and I now understand that they have discontinued production. Numerous letters to the home office in Barbados went unanswered. As I nervously approached the bottom of my last jar, I decided it was time to make it for myself. So using my trusty gas chromatograph analyser and utilizing mass spectroscopy techniques learned in Nuclear Engineering 401, I ventured forth and duplicated the recipe. The ingredients shown on the label were: Hot peppers, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, onion and garlic. Analysis showed that there was also mango, curry, cumin, chili powder and black pepper.

And now, the directions: Place the seeded peppers and vinegar in a blender and grind it fine. Slowly add the other ingredients and process until smooth.

Pour into two 12 ounce Lotties jars and enjoy.

Origin: Tom Greaves
Posted By: Tom Greaves
Old December 23, 2008   #7
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I don't like the taste of vinegar in hot sauce so I made a very flavorful, very hot "hot salt" with dried habaneros, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. That was about six years ago and it is now aged enough that it is down to the heat level of Tabasco. Before that it would make my eyes water just shaking it onto the food.

Buy about 2 quarts of fresh whole habaneros, deseed and quarter and set out to air dry (or use a dehydrator etc). You might want to wear rubber gloves. Then process them with a coffee-spice mill and pass through a wire strainer to get the right sized fragment- "powder" . Be careful of the fumes when doing this. Mix other ingredient to taste (I think I started out with equal parts of everything and then adjusted from there- start with a teaspoon of each mixed together in the spice mill to taste test).

The trick is to put the salt in the spice mill and "powder" it so that it will not separate from everything else. The salt simply brings the flavor out of the other ingredients, and is not enough to oversalt presalted food.

With this stuff I can make mild chili for the whole family, and five alarm it once it is in my bowl. Great on macaroni and cheese, pizza, and fried chicken.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2008   #8
BrianS
Tomatovillian™

Hello Tom,
Unless you buy sauces from a "true chili head" they wont be up to your expectations.

Go here ->http://www.thehotpepper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

You will get more than you bargained for
Old December 23, 2008   #9
BrianS
Tomatovillian™

Try the Naga snakebite sauce it will light you up!
Old January 9, 2009   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

earl,

is this a barbecue sauce or a marinade or a hot sauce that you put on food for the spicy flavor?

all the hot sauces i have bought in stores are not mustard based so i am uncertain what that is.... other than you have yellow mustard in it.

tom
Old January 9, 2009   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

For those that don't like the vinegar taste in a lot of hot sauces I have a solution.

I made a variation of my hot sauce replacing about 15% (1/7) of the vinegar with lime. Not just lime juice but ground up whole limes. I washed them and put them thru the meat grinder skin, seeds and all.

I was amaized that so little lime could totally mask the vinegar taste. Of course now you have a lime taste that doesn't work for every dish. But for some they really loved it and I sold out way quicker than I expected.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2009   #12
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Tom,
I'd call it a hot sauce with mustard base and it's good on BBQ sandwiches too. Good on anything that goes well with mustard.
Old January 14, 2009   #13
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

Mo hotta, mo betta has good selection. They have 2 Lottie's sauces but not the true Bajan unfortunately.

http://www.mohotta.com/category/1
roamwhereiwant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2009   #14
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Wow....great recipe!
Thanks!
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2009   #15
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

how can i find something HOT?
There are several establishments that sell their wares on the internet. They can be expensive and you have to pay shipping, but most have a good selection. Just do a google search for hot sauces.

Most "extreme" sauces are very hot. IMHO many of the "extreme" sauces do not taste good. In fact some are just nasty tasting to me.

I, well and the Pepper Pack, have tried several hot sauces.

We did not like the following:
(Black?) Widow
Liquid Stoopid
Colon Blow
Blair's ??
Kick Yo A$$ Hot Sauce (some members of the Pepper Pack actually liked this one)

We liked the following:
Dave's Insanity
Predator Great White Shark (Some pepper pack members didn't like this one, but I did)
Mellinda's
Screaming Hornets (not as hot as the others, but good taste)

There was one with a brain on it like the cap was a brain, and one had an eye dropper. We can't remember the names or whether we liked them.

Good luck. Let us know if you find anything you like.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote