Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 29, 2015   #1
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Default Parentage Atkinson tomato?

Not important, just wondered if anyone happened to know Atkinson's ancestry.

I ran across a reference to it being part of an attempt to develop an improved Rutgers. To me, what that means is "Hey, it must be one of the Marglobe grandchildren".

Of course, for a relatively recent tomato to be a descendant of Marglobe is kind of like a Thoroughbred being a descendant of the Darley Arabian (i.e. most of them are, somewhere or other) -- but I did wonder what the Atkinson connection was, if anyone happens to know.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Not important, just wondered if anyone happened to know Atkinson's ancestry.

I ran across a reference to it being part of an attempt to develop an improved Rutgers. To me, what that means is "Hey, it must be one of the Marglobe grandchildren".

Of course, for a relatively recent tomato to be a descendant of Marglobe is kind of like a Thoroughbred being a descendant of the Darley Arabian (i.e. most of them are, somewhere or other) -- but I did wonder what the Atkinson connection was, if anyone happens to know.
The following link is as good as you can get on how Atkinson was developed, what the parentage was, etc.

http://aurora.auburn.edu/repo/bitstr...pdf?sequence=1

Carolyn
Old March 29, 2015   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

JLJ... If your able to open the pdf. Would you mind posting here what it says. I'm curious myself now that you said that about maybe being a grandchild. My computer won't open the document.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #4
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
JLJ... If your able to open the pdf. Would you mind posting here what it says. I'm curious myself now that you said that about maybe being a grandchild. My computer won't open the document.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atkinson pg1.JPG (105.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Atkinson pg2a.JPG (27.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Atkinson pg2b.JPG (60.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Atkinson pg3.JPG (87.2 KB, 101 views)

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #5
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

I see that Dutch valiantly captured the information and posted it for you.

If you want the pdf -- which is a nice little four page leaflet 73 from the Ag Experiment Station in Auburn Alabama -- published in November of 1966 to introduce the new Tomato, Atkinson -- you might try right clicking on Carolyn's link and choosing 'open link in new tab' -- then choosing "save" or "download" when your pdf reader opens the file -- or right click on Carolyn's link and choose "save link as" and save the file to your computer and let your computer open it after it is downloaded -- both worked for me. It's not a big file.

When I'd been looking for info on Atkinson's descent from Marglobe's child, Rutgers, I did find this puzzling info

Parentage: Veeset x (Roma VF x H 1350 x High Crimson) x

in several Atkinson Tomato locations, which you can locate by googling that phrase -- but I wonder if it might have been a mistake copied from location to location, as the parentage of CrimsonVee , as listed here

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/w.../tomatoai.html

seems to be

Crimsonvee (Ont. 738) - Breeder: Hort. Expt. Sta., Simcoe, Ontario, Canada. Vendor: Stokes Seeds. Parentage: Veeset x (Roma VF x H 1350 x High Crimson) x (High Crimson x Blitz)

The Atkinson Tomato pamphlet 73 is a nice little publication, though in one spot outdated of course, in that they think that the possessor of the main giant cache of Atkinson seed is Corneli Seed Company in St. Louis instead of . . .
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #6
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Dutch... Thank you so much for posting that. : ) My dinosaur of a computer sometimes doesn't like to work.

It been so many years and I don't really remember who the gentleman was it at the time I had talked to up in Canada at Stokes, head office. At the time, I thought I was talking to the breeder of Atkinson.

In trying to find it, I was going all over the place, following what links I could. I know I had gone to the Ag. Extension office and talked to the tomato man there. He didn't have any Atkinson seed at the time and checked with a few of his folks and nobody had any.

At the time I was told to check with the gentleman in Canada. The breeder, in Canada at Stokes, told me that he actually did not breed the Atkinson. He did trial and, did something else with it. If I remember right, the gentleman I had talked to was first at Auburn when Atkinson was being developed and than he went up North. I wish I could find the letter he had sent me. It's in a file folder somewhere. He didn't have any Atkinson seed at the time and had sent me seed for

Crista VFFFN-TSWV
Flordia 47 R VFF
Hy-Beef 9904 VFT
Indy VFFFST
and another one I can't think of off the top of my head , to see how I would like them.

I still have seeds of the above mentioned if either of you want to give em a try. If so just pm me.
Old March 30, 2015   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

I think you still can get Atkinson seeds from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange catalog.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #8
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Dutch... Thank you so much for posting that. : ) My dinosaur of a computer sometimes doesn't like to work.

It been so many years and I don't really remember who the gentleman was it at the time I had talked to up in Canada at Stokes, head office. At the time, I thought I was talking to the breeder of Atkinson.

In trying to find it, I was going all over the place, following what links I could. I know I had gone to the Ag. Extension office and talked to the tomato man there. He didn't have any Atkinson seed at the time and checked with a few of his folks and nobody had any.

At the time I was told to check with the gentleman in Canada. The breeder, in Canada at Stokes, told me that he actually did not breed the Atkinson. He did trial and, did something else with it. If I remember right, the gentleman I had talked to was first at Auburn when Atkinson was being developed and than he went up North. I wish I could find the letter he had sent me. It's in a file folder somewhere. He didn't have any Atkinson seed at the time and had sent me seed for

Crista VFFFN-TSWV
Flordia 47 R VFF
Hy-Beef 9904 VFT
Indy VFFFST
and another one I can't think of off the top of my head , to see how I would like them.

I still have seeds of the above mentioned if either of you want to give em a try. If so just pm me.
The Atkinson seeds you sent me all germinated and I transplanted a few weeks ago. They are doing really well. I appreciate the information you posted and all the other links above from others. Good info..

Cant wait to see how it performs and how the fruit taste. I wonder how it will be as a canner. We shall see.. Thanks again.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, as Travis said, SESE sells seeds for Atkinson if anyone else is interesed.

http://www.southernexposure.com/inde...yword=Atkinson

Carolyn
Old March 30, 2015   #10
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

ATkinson is a very good variety here in the deep south. I can readily purchase seed by the ounce from several local seed companies. I am growing 3 or 4 trays of seedlings for local sales.

Atkinson (AU 22 and STEP 500) - Breeder: Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama. Vendor: Corneli Seed Co. Characteristics: indeterminate vine, strong; fruit meaty, large to 1.1 pounds, small core, good color and flavor, green shouldered; suitable for green wraps, fresh market, and home gardens. Resistance: nematodes and fusarium wilt race 1. Similar: Marion. Adaptation: southeastern U.S. Atkinson tomato, Auburn Agr. Expt. Sta. Leaf. 73, Nov. 1966.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have so many tomato seeds that I have never grown and still hope to, both Atkinson And Marion and I'm not getting any younger....
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #12
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes, as Travis said, SESE sells seeds for Atkinson if anyone else is interesed.

http://www.southernexposure.com/inde...yword=Atkinson

Carolyn
Plus back in Feb. in the trade forum, a generous tvillian was offering seeds for Atkinson, and they had oodles and oodles of seed. Perhaps if you send a pm they might have a few to spare. The offer has not been closed.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #13
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
The Atkinson seeds you sent me all germinated and I transplanted a few weeks ago. They are doing really well. I appreciate the information you posted and all the other links above from others. Good info..

Cant wait to see how it performs and how the fruit taste. I wonder how it will be as a canner. We shall see.. Thanks again.

Glad to hear it. I just finished transplanted, the first batch of 100 of the Atkinsons and getting ready to sow a second batch. Like Fusion says, it really is a good tomato, especially for all the heat and humidity we get.

It's got a good taste for slicing and salads, but I don't know about canning. I don't have enough experience to can and sure don't trust myself to try and can alone.

Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I have so many tomato seeds that I have never grown and still hope to, both Atkinson And Marion and I'm not getting any younger....
I hear you Linda! I wish I had learned about all these tomatoes and growing them when I was a bit younger. What's hard is trying to play catch up with the older heirlooms and the new ones coming out. I can't keep up.

Yes, the offer I posted down in the Haves forums, is still open. I still have about 170,000 thousand seeds.

The can I bought orginally came from Seeds By Design Inc. labeled 09/00. I think it was 2009, maybe when I popped the top on them. I have had them in the fridge since I first passed em out years ago, and I getting just about 100% germination from the way I sow. Took em I think almost a week to pop, just sitting on counter in seed tray in a baggy with kitchen light.