Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2017   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default 23 June 2017 Tomato String Support System

http://durgan.org/2017/June%202017/2...20System/HTML/ 23 June 2017 Tomato String Support System
Tomato plants are supported by strings attached to an overhead support system made with 8 foot rebar and a few 8 foot steel fence posts. Plastic ties are used and the support is removed at the end of the season. There are 23 plants in an area about 8 feet wide and 20 feet long. Suckers are not removed from the plants and they are free growing. Strings are added throughout the season to support any free growing branches as required.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #2
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

You have a very lovely and tidy garden! I wish I could grow in my soil like that, but I just have tons of red clay.
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Very nice, Durgan! I've always preferred support from above or trellising on a panel as opposed to cages. Easier to access the plants, plus I just like the way it looks. Your garden is very inviting!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #4
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

That's how we support tomatoes here in Europe too. We prune to a single stem (because of the risk of phytoptora) and twist them around a string.
I'll put a pic of mine tomorrow.
Beautiful garden BTW.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

You might not have to prune in Ontario but if you were down here in the deep south with a season of at least 7 months you would need a machete to walk through your tomatoes after a couple of months. I use Missouri pruning on some of my varieties and even that can get out of control even on single stem plants.

Your method is similar to what I do with bell peppers. I just add more drops to support the limbs as new stems get peppers on them. Sometimes I end up with 7 or 8 strings supporting one pepper plant by the end of the season; but it works really well as long as I keep adding support when needed so the stems don't break during thunderstorms or with too much weight from peppers.

I think what you are doing will work for you in your climate and it looks like you have a great start with a beautiful garden.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #6
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

That looks great. Are the wood chips working well for you as a mulch?
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #7
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMc View Post
That looks great. Are the wood chips working well for you as a mulch?
The wood chips are wonderful in retaining moisture. I cant imagine gardening without them. In my climate and area here is no downside to their use.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote