Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 30, 2016   #1
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Default This is a new one on me, bugwise

I went out to pick tomatoes yesterday, and when I went to pull a nice red one off, I freaked when I saw 2 bugs on it. Rather big bugs too, the size of medium June bugs. They were the same body shape as June bugs, but are fuzzy and mottled brown. One was on the truss just above the mater, and the other one was nestled inside a large hole in the fruit.

I knocked the one off of the truss onto the ground and smashed it with a rock. When I did I noticed it appeared to have a small worm of some type under it's body, like it was holding it between it's legs. I knocked the other one into a container for closer examination and identification. It was obviously feeding on that ripe tomato, so I was in panic mode.

It took a while searching online, but I think I identified them as Bumble Flower Beetles. They attack damaged fruit, and prey on other things like fruitworms. I have quite a lot of cracked fruits, and I think I have some fruitworms or similar worms eating holes in some of the fruits. So that would explain it all. There were also picnic bugs eating that same damaged tomato.

Here's what I found about them, and underside and top pics of my bug. Any other opinions on ID, or does this look like it? I'm so grossed out by bugs, and these guys gave me quite a fit at first.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...bleflower.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160830_083912.jpg (137.1 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Bumble Flower Beetle 2.jpg (148.0 KB, 155 views)
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #2
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. I have never seen one of those before.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #3
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
Interesting. I have never seen one of those before.
Me either. Apparently they are harmless, just eat the bad fruits. Just wasn't sure on my ID of it. You can't see the head on mine in the pic cuz it's dead now and the head is bent downward. So it looks like I need to keep all the split fruits off the vines and I shouldn't see any of them or the nasty picnic bugs.
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016   #4
4season
Tomatovillian™

Just found this post, usually have a dozen or so every year. Have grumbled and then used the garden clippers on them. If they eat other bugs they are not all bad, but I will still clip them.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

If you can put that thing on a fish hook, maybe it will turn into a bluegill.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2016   #6
Perennial Guru
Tomatovillian™

Your ID on this one is correct - bumble flower beetle. I ran into them for the first time this year. They are a type of scarab beetle, and their fuzziness makes them rather unique in appearance.

Adults do sound similar to a bumble bee when they fly. The adults overwinter in the soil and can dig rather rapidly.
Perennial Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2016   #7
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

What do they eat?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2016   #8
Perennial Guru
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
What do they eat?
The larvae are grubs that live in the soil and feed on organic matter. Adults primarily feed on oozing plant sap and overripe or fermenting fruit. Adults are also sometimes found on flowers and have been reported to feed on corn silks occasionally.

They are generally not considered pests, as they don't damage fruit that isn't already past its prime.
Perennial Guru is offline   Reply With Quote