Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 3, 2015   #1
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Default Carbohydrates and Tomatoes

This is kind of a scientific inquiry of sorts but it comes with a story. My son the Health Freak is going on a low carb diet (Ketosis I think). He wanted to know how low carb tomato sauce is made. Is the low carb tomato the thing or is it the process? Does anyone know how they make "low carb" tomato sauce? Is it something that I can make at home without the aid of a PhD in genetics and a large grant? Any input would be appreciated! By the way, I did see an article that said a normal tom has 5 grams of carbs where plum and cherry toms have about 1 gram. Still a lot.
Thanks; Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Pete you answered your own question.
Like many things these days they advertize carb amounts in things being low like water.
Tomatoes are naturally low carb, they just advertise it as being so.
Like the water bottles you see that say no GMO's and 0 carbs, really, 'you think.
Plus if I am not mistaking they may very well put some sort of sweetener in processed tomato sauce.

Tell your son not to worry you cant eat enough tomatoes to gain weight trust me I have tried.
The health benefits far outweigh the crab amount plus you have to have carbs for your body to survive.
I cant think of a better way to get them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

you have to have carbs for your body to survive.

Sorry, my friend, I have to call you on that one. The keto diet's main premise is that you do not need carbs to live. The body will convert a fat-based diet to ketones, and fuel itself just fine. Think of an ancient eskimo living off whale and seal meat; they didn't have carbs.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
you have to have carbs for your body to survive.

Sorry, my friend, I have to call you on that one. The keto diet's main premise is that you do not need carbs to live. The body will convert a fat-based diet to ketones, and fuel itself just fine. Think of an ancient eskimo living off whale and seal meat; they didn't have carbs.
Well your right but maybe (I) have to have carbs to survive.
Before you jump on the Eskimo seal fat diet you might ought to order a sample first.
Plus they did and do eat other things besides just fats and meat.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; July 3, 2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old July 3, 2015   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Tomato doe not have any starch. So no carbs there. The only source of carb originates from the sugar (brix) which is not that much. That of course depends on the variety.
I don't have the numbers, but I think probably a can of CocaCola has more carb than a gallon of tomato sauce.
The bottom line: You want low carb tomatoes ?: Do not eat the sweet once and look at the ingredients list on the tomato sauce can/bottle. .

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Tomato doe not have any starch. So no carbs there. The only source of carb originates from the sugar (brix) which is not that much. That of course depends on the variety.
I don't have the numbers, but I think probably a can of CocaCola has more carb than a gallon of tomato sauce.
The bottom line: You want low carb tomatoes ?: Do not eat the sweet once and look at the ingredients list on the tomato sauce can/bottle. .

Gardeneer
This whole diet thing tickles me pink.
On one side you have the carnivores on the other you have the herbivores and then some like myself are omnivores.

I am like a bear, I like meat mostly but I wont pass up a good berry bush.
Old July 3, 2015   #7
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Some sauces have an astonishing amount of sugar added. My family likes a little variety so we buy a few different sauces. There was one that was so sweet I could hardly eat it. It had 13 grams of sugar per serving. One had 8 and I could eat it, but I didn't really care for it. So now we only buy sauce with 6 grams or less.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I meant to include the wiki link to the Keto diet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

It also reduces seizures in epileptic children by two-thirds. That was known in the 1920s. But ideas like that are not a part of modern health care. They want to treat everything with medication instead.
Old July 4, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
Some sauces have an astonishing amount of sugar added. My family likes a little variety so we buy a few different sauces. There was one that was so sweet I could hardly eat it. It had 13 grams of sugar per serving. One had 8 and I could eat it, but I didn't really care for it. So now we only buy sauce with 6 grams or less.
Sometimes I feel like I look like an idiot in the store because I am the only one reading labels to see what is in stuff.
I look for the top 3 killers, at least I think so.
Salts.
HFCS.
And hydrogenated fats.
I dont eat enough carbs from grain to amount to a hill of beans so I dont worry about it.

Quote:
I meant to include the wiki link to the Keto diet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

It also reduces seizures in epileptic children by two-thirds. That was known in the 1920s. But ideas like that are not a part of modern health care. They want to treat everything with medication instead.
Cole you have a PM.

Worth
Old July 4, 2015   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Inquiring minds want to know -- what's he planning on having the sauce on if he can't eat pasta?
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Inquiring minds want to know -- what's he planning on having the sauce on if he can't eat pasta?
Shellfish sounds good.

Manhattan style clam chowder?
My mother cooked many meats with tomato based sauce with no pasta.

Worth
Old July 4, 2015   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My former mother in law made a fine ratatouille with a tomato sauce base.
Old July 4, 2015   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My former mother in law made a fine ratatouille with a tomato sauce base.
My mom did too but at the time I had no idea what it was called.
I was just an ignorant little country boy that ate what was put in front of me.
Worth
Old July 4, 2015   #14
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I wonder why that didn't occur to me?
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #15
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

Gardeneer
Tomatoes are low calorie but the calories are basically all carbs. I think ketosis diets don't allow fruits or veggies. Low carb diets like South Beach do.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote