Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 17, 2008   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Some pictures - seedlings in my garage

It is nearing 32 tonight, so the babies are spending the night inside (that is not the height of the lights when they are spending days under them....earlier in the season, they were much lower).

Time to start transplanting!!!

The pic with the two more sparsely populated flats are mostly the Dwarf project seedlings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100SungoldsSmallMarch17_08.jpg (143.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 5000seedlingsSmallMarch17_08.jpg (178.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DwarfsSmallMarch17_08.jpg (217.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg SeedlingsSmallMarch17_08.jpg (217.8 KB, 98 views)
Old March 17, 2008   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

nice little jungle you've got in each tray!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

yessiree....I figure about 1200 or so little babies in each flat. Should keep me out of trouble for a few weeks as they all move in to their own home...
Old March 17, 2008   #4
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Happy transplanting Craig!

Now it is pretty obvious that the spring is out there... somewhere... still very cold here at the PNW, but I know it's coming... I do not dare to bring my tomato babies to a cold frame yet - only cabbages and lettuces are there so far.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Looking good there Craig! Good luck with your growing this year!

Duane
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2008   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Awesome looking plants there, Craig!

I'm going to probably grow 100 Sungold, 100 Black Cherry, and 100 Sweet 100 plants next year, as well as some staple tomato varieties and a few others and see what people will buy.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2008   #7
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Okay Craig, tell us how you keep your sanity while potting up all of those seedlings......how long does it take you? Do you work out on the cement or do you work from a table?

Is a glass of wine in order after potting up each flat of 1200?

Jay
BVGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2008   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Good point re keeping the sanity! I have to admit to the transplanting act as therapy - something completely different from my day job...though now that my day job is going away, I wonder if it will impact my feeling about it!

Let's see, how do I do it....I vary things by actually writing out the labels as I need them. So the process - Fill 15 pots with MetroMix, poke holes in the soil, pop out the plant cluster and separate into seedlings, nudge them into the mix, water, count and record seedling number, leaf shape, leaf color (for hot peppers - since I grow many purple leaf, and can check for crossing - also helps me keep records on germination of any given seed lot for a variety), then write out the labels, put them in the pots, put the pots in the basket tray, then onto the garage floor for a few days to acclimate. I think I can do 100-150 pots her hour - essentially a row of 10 - so when I am really cranking along, I can do a flat in 5-6 hours. Peppers and eggplant are quicker (I plant less of each variety - typical aim is for a flat of 15 plants), tomatoes can take nearly twice as long, as I have up to 30 or more seeds per cell on some.

I work at a table in the garage, standing on a piece of carpet, listening to music - it is great to do on a mild spring evening with the crickets chirping outside!
Old March 18, 2008   #9
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVGardener View Post
--------------------
Is a glass of wine in order after potting up each flat of 1200?

Jay
Yes. Only after writing 1200 labels

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2008   #10
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

I am having a sympathy glass for you as I type this!
Old March 18, 2008   #11
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Craig, interesting you mention music. Last weekend I took a portable radio out to the garden and tuned in some classical music. It helped the time go by while raking in the soil amendments. Where I live I can only get one station that plays classical so I have to live with their playlist.

Jay

Last edited by BVGardener; March 19, 2008 at 10:20 AM.
BVGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2008   #12
billbird2111
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Good point re keeping the sanity! I have to admit to the transplanting act as therapy - something completely different from my day job...though now that my day job is going away, I wonder if it will impact my feeling about it!

Let's see, how do I do it....I vary things by actually writing out the labels as I need them. So the process - Fill 15 pots with MetroMix, poke holes in the soil, pop out the plant cluster and separate into seedlings, nudge them into the mix, water, count and record seedling number, leaf shape, leaf color (for hot peppers - since I grow many purple leaf, and can check for crossing - also helps me keep records on germination of any given seed lot for a variety), then write out the labels, put them in the pots, put the pots in the basket tray, then onto the garage floor for a few days to acclimate. I think I can do 100-150 pots her hour - essentially a row of 10 - so when I am really cranking along, I can do a flat in 5-6 hours. Peppers and eggplant are quicker (I plant less of each variety - typical aim is for a flat of 15 plants), tomatoes can take nearly twice as long, as I have up to 30 or more seeds per cell on some.

I work at a table in the garage, standing on a piece of carpet, listening to music - it is great to do on a mild spring evening with the crickets chirping outside!

See, I would have so many cups of draft beer during this process that I would probably lose count after, say, 12.

That's probably why the vast majority of my starters up and died on me this year.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.