Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 30, 2010   #1
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default my 3 dwarfs plants

I grew dwarfs from seeds and gave a lot away to friends, I keep 2 of each, and put them in pots. I lost the names in the pots of some. 1 plant has 1/2inch red cherry's, sweet and great little ones, kids love them, so i would like seeds from this one soon, can anyone till me the name?
I have Siberian, Czech bush, Tiny Tim.I see fruit on one with 1-2 inch big fruit, maybe Siberian, and another plant with 1 inch fruit, the plant with the tiny fruits look the same as others. Same leafs also.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2010   #2
Delizzy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Filmnet,

Usually it is impossible to identify an unknown tomato, but since you have only 3 pssibilities, you might be able to do so.

Tatiana's tomato database describes Tiny Tim as "55-60 days, det., small tree-like 16" plant, rugose foliage, 0.75-1" bright red cherry fruit, very productive, more fruit than foliage, great for container gardening."

You say the leaf type on all three of your varieties are the same, but Tiny Tim and Czech's Bush are rugose, while Siberian has a regular leaf form and is a larger determinate.

So could your "Siberian" be a SIBERIA (without the "n")? I've grown siberian and it matches Tatiana's description: "142 days from germination, early tomato, det. compact bushy plant, excellent for container growing, regular leaf, large cherry egg-shaped red fruit, 2"x1", very good flavor, very good yield, 2-3 harvests per summer." On the other hand siberia is described as "early, Det (Rugose), golf ball sized red fruit."

Czech's Bush is listed at Seed Saver's Exchange as "Sent to Ben Quisenberry in 1976 by Milan Sodomka from Czechoslovakia. Stocky plants produce heavy yields of round 4-6 oz. red fruits early in the season. May need a small stake for support. Good flavor, nice for containers and tight spaces. Rugose, 70 days from transplant."

I think you will be able to figure out which plant is Tiny Tim, since it has the samllest growth habit and fruit, but on the other two, you may not be able to tell. Good luck with it!

Betsy

Last edited by Delizzy; August 1, 2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: delete use of html for readability
Delizzy is offline   Reply With Quote