Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 3, 2010   #1
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Default Earthbox tomatoes looking tired...

I know you are not supposed to add any ferts to these planters once they are set up but my plants are looking tired. There are plenty of tomatoes set but I have not seen much new leaf growth in a few weeks. Can I add anything to the water to encourage some new growth and bring back that deep green color they had in the spring. They are very pale and need something. I think.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #2
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

If you look on the forums in the earthbox webpage and search for "the snack." There are tons of entries there. You will likely get some results searching here as well as Ray and I and others have discussed that concept as to earth boxes and earthtainers. In short, you can easily add liquid fertilizers when you refil the water. Local hydroponic stores here have multiple options and more than one of them are fully organic and certified organic options. It should help, but I doubt you'll get that new spring lushness. The heat and sun zapp that out, at least around here.

I started doing it and now it is part of a my routine. Not every watering, but on occasion. Good luck.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

The "Snack" mentioned is 1 Tbls Calcium Nitrate dissolved in 1 gallon of water and added to the reservoir of the SWC once a week. It also helps control BER when you have a calcium deficiency. This is what most hydroponic growers use for their Nitrogen/Calcium requirements for their nutrient solution. Once added to the reservoir it will immediately become available to the plant and you should see a difference in the plants within a day or so. Ami
Old August 3, 2010   #4
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

I just starting reading this and do the same except I add 2 tbls. instead. Once a week I use fish emulsion, molasses, and Calcium and use as foilage spray and do this late in evening. In Fl are plants get abused by climatic changes and closeness of sun.
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote