Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 15, 2010   #1
SaberTooth
Tomatovillian™

Default Soil and Taste

I was going to try some varieties next year in a container in addition to my gardern ones. The PDF directions for the earthtainer lists potting mix, bark fines and perile but others on this site recommend sphagnum peat, bark fines and perlite. From your experience, what mix should I go with?

As far as taste, is there a noticable difference from the tomatoes grown in the grown versus in a container? What about yield differences?

Varieties I was going with next year are: Aussie, Mexico, Red Brandywine, Purple Cherokee, Eva's Purple Ball, Druzba, Kellog's Breakfast and German Head. Are any or all of these good candidates for a container?

Thanks.
SaberTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2010   #2
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

as far as i've heard, since each mix has different nutrients in it, it's best to take a bunch of soil mixes and mix them altogether to get the most out of them all. and then add some rock dust or azomite.... and you're good to go.

but i'm no expert. i just do what others do.
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2010   #3
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

You are in a different country.......just keep reading and try to substitute the best you can.......Good Luck!
Talon1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2010   #4
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I really don't know much about it, but I have grown tomatoes in the yard, in container in the yard, in container in GH, and in the dirt floor of the GH. One of my thoughts is that it is hard to maintain the proper water in containers. The ones I have in the floor of the GH do so much better that the container GH one. The dirt seems to give them a reserve and more constant growth, not so much variation. Now I know that some who do it right, grow in containers with better luck than in the garden. A SWC can be made to be all most a perfect place. This year is very bad and I don't think any taste very good. So many things can effect the taste.
KennyP
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote