Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 23, 2011   #1
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Default Container size for strong growing indeterminates

I'm considering trying two or three plants in containers this year to compare with my usual garden plot. I know little about container growing since I've never done it and have some questions. How big does it need to be for strong growing indeterminates, and what type of soil mix works well. I thought I might try using grow bags. Any help is appreciated.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #2
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

At minimum I would suggest 15 gallon and 20 is even better. I like to build my soil but if your not in to doing that any potting mix should work ok. Just make sure its 'potting mix' and not potting soil. I've used grow bags before but not for tomatoes,as long as you keep them off the ground and even better if they are shaded a bit you should be fine. Good Luck.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #3
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Basically, what you are needing is as large a container as you can work with...not so much for the roots, but rather to provide 'ballast' to keep it from falling over all the time. Even a well caged plant (unless the cage is anchored to the ground) can get too top heavy for a small container.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Four parts mix, one part Black Kow composted manure, one handful of dolomite lime, one handful of a generic 10-10-10 slow release fertilizer, and one handful of Tomato Tone.

18 gallon pots or tubs can be found easily at any big box store or nursery. Color of the pot may become problematic if the container gets a lot of direct sun on its sides. This can be a blessing in the cooler spring by getting the growing medium warmer. But in the height of summer, it can overheat the growing medium and cook the roots to death. Be prepared to protect the darker colored sides from overheating.

Watering will be a daily task and fertilizing will be at least bi-weekly. The containers will drain nicely to keep the roots from becoming waterlogged, but this draining will also deplete nutrients in the mix.

The largest plant I've grown in an 18 gallon pot was Giant Tree. It's vine was a multi-branching 15 footer that went up and then down and had turned back up again. Here's a couple of pictures of some of the fruit.

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GiantTree3.jpg (74.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg GiantTree1.jpg (52.3 KB, 52 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #5
artis
Tomatovillian™

I have grown relatively large plants (Aunt Gertie's Gold, Reif Red Heart) in 10 gal pots with Promix BX. However, I had to water them twice a day and fertilize every other day during the peak season. I suppose that larger containers, such as 18 gal, would hold water and nutrients much better.

Another challenge was supporting the vines as they can easily grow taller than 6 feet. I ended up using a sturdy cage that I securely tied to the side of my deck.
artis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dan,

"Bigger is better!"

Big Beef in a 31 gallon EarthTainer.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #7
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Raybo

Nice looking plant. I guess bigger is better. Thanks for your response and the pic.

Dan
Old January 25, 2011   #8
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by artis View Post
I have grown relatively large plants (Aunt Gertie's Gold, Reif Red Heart) in 10 gal pots with Promix BX. However, I had to water them twice a day and fertilize every other day during the peak season. I suppose that larger containers, such as 18 gal, would hold water and nutrients much better.

Another challenge was supporting the vines as they can easily grow taller than 6 feet. I ended up using a sturdy cage that I securely tied to the side of my deck.
artis

Thanks for your input. Sounds like bigger is better. Thanks.

Dan
Old January 25, 2011   #9
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

artis

Thanks,

Dan
Old January 25, 2011   #10
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Bigger is better?

Well, I really prefer using a 2.899313371 x 10^23 gallon container for my large indeterminates...
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #11
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc View Post
Bigger is better?

Well, I really prefer using a 2.899313371 x 10^23 gallon container for my large indeterminates...

For the really large indeterminates 2 cubits X 3 cubits X 5 cubits would be adequate don't ya think ?
Old February 3, 2011   #12
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

Yak,
There is no need to buy some overpriced "grow box." Earthtainers are easy and cheap to make, and the guy who developed them provides the instructions for free.

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ht=earthtainer

search tomatoville for "self-watering container" (called SWC for short) or EarthTainer. There is much discussion on the subject. I plan on making my first ones this spring.
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2011   #13
alamo5000
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
I'm considering trying two or three plants in containers this year to compare with my usual garden plot. I know little about container growing since I've never done it and have some questions. How big does it need to be for strong growing indeterminates, and what type of soil mix works well. I thought I might try using grow bags. Any help is appreciated.

Dan

I have 40 plus plants growing right now (in a greenhouse)... all in orange home depot buckets. All are indeterminite varieties. All are more than head high already.

After two years of growing in containers I have a bit of an insight....

1. with 5 gallon buckets you can grow for sure. no problems provided you use good soil. the downside is you will have to water a lot more often, especially in summer.

2. if you have the plants outside in the wind... if your plants are tall, they can easily blow over in 5 gallon buckets. I staked my tomatoes up to a fixed fence so it wasn't a problem. Sprawling won't be a problem either.

3. With some time under my belt doing this, I would opt for 10 gallons or even 15 if I had the option. Bigger is better. That being said, I got my buckets for $2.50 each. If you can get 10 or 15 gallon containers for cheap then by all means do it....but 5 gallon buckets work just fine for me.

Last year I grew 100% in buckets (5 gallon)... I mocked up an irrigation system and in the end I had at least twice as many tomatoes as the next door in the ground garden.

I will try another in the ground garden this year, but containers are my main stay...
alamo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2011   #14
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

Alamo-
What sort of holes do you drill in the buckets? Do you put gravel in the bottoms of the buckets?

Has anyone tried putting a drip irrigation system on a timer for their buckets? I think a drip or tow on each bucket, and the whole system hooked up to a timer, could save a lot of hours over the summer.
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #15
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

Here's Korney19 way of drip irrigation post #6 Drip Irrigation - Tomatoville® Gardening Forums
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote