Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 18, 2011   #1
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

Default Cheap/efficient way to add 8-12 more plants?

Hi all:

I'm wanting to add at least 8 varieties to my tomato patch this year. Last year, I used 1 commercial earthbox, 2 topsy turvy planters (with homemade water reservoir), 2 revolution upside down planters, 2 tomato success kits, 2 5G bucket SWCs, and 1 extra large (18-20in) walmart self-watering pot.

I need to be able to accommodate indeterminate heirlooms, so I may retire the 5G bucket planters to eggplants (depending on how many smaller varieties I end up with). I will scrap any upside down planters that don't survive winter storage under my deck (which probably means scrapping the 2 topsy turvy's).

I live in a condo- I would be allowed to put in a raised bed, but I'm planning to move after this growing season so I don't want to put in anything permanent.

I have deck space and yard space where I can put containers. I need to use a system where I don't need to water any more often than 1x per day (and can on occasion skip a day if I am traveling), so I have a preference to something I can bottom water- either SWC, or a tray system that plants can draw water from.

Any thoughts? I'm considering smart pots, commercial earthboxes, more tsk's or earthtainers (though I haven't found 30G+ totes for less than $15 each).

TIA!
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Lowes has the recommended 31 gallon RuggedTotes for $13.29 on their Website right now.

Here is the link. They have a typo, as they are actually 31 gallons - not 3 gallons (click on the specifications Tab to confirm):

http://www.lowes.com/pd_314141-61896...t%3Druggedtote

Can't beat an EarthTainer III for your specs (above)!!

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; February 18, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #3
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for clarifying that typo! I have been to Lowe's website at least 3 times trying to find the recommended 31 gallon tote!!! I saw the "3" gallon one and was puzzled about why it cost more than totes several times its size.

I will pick up two this weekend and try making an Earthtainer using your new design.
Old February 18, 2011   #4
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

The 18 gal totes can also be used to make a SWC. I have several. They hold less media so tomato plants may be a bit smaller (my cherry tomatoes grew to 7 ft tall, two to an SWC). However, I can still move them after they are filled.

Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Rick,

I've used the 18 gallon Rubbermaids to make "mini" 'Tainers:

Two "issues" I have with the 18 gallon size. With their taller aspect ratio, they are more prone to tipping over in the wind than the 31 gallon size. Second, and more important, while the Gurney's Pea Fence fits perfectly on the 31 gallon RuggedTote, I have not found a suitable self-supporting cage for the 18 gallon container.

Raybo
Old February 18, 2011   #6
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

Do you think that the pea fences at Henry Fields are the same as the ones at Gurney's? It looks like I can get the discount off of up to 8 fences- $25 off $50, $50 off $100, $100 or $200, etc., and get more cages....
Old February 18, 2011   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryffin View Post
Do you think that the pea fences at Henry Fields are the same as the ones at Gurney's? It looks like I can get the discount off of up to 8 fences- $25 off $50, $50 off $100, $100 or $200, etc., and get more cages....
Yep. Same Company.

Raybo
Old February 18, 2011   #8
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

I just found a coupon for the same deal at Gurney's- works out even better since the starting price of the cages is less.

Now I just have to figure out how many I want to make.
Old February 18, 2011   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Suggestion: Order a few more than you think you need. They will be somewhat "contagious", and you surely will be building more next Season.

Personally, I am now up to 31.

Raybo
Old February 21, 2011   #10
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

Am I nuts to want to order 9 cage systems???? With $100 off?
Old March 13, 2011   #11
tomtbone
Tomatovillian™

So does anyone know when these totes usually go on sale? THey are back up to $15 a piece and I want to make 5 earthtainers. Thats pricey just for the totes themselves!
tomtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #12
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Couple of questions. I ordered 4 of the Pea fences from Gurney, will this complete 4 cages or more? Also, I'm having a hard time finding the Dolomite lime locally, any suggestions on where to find it? I would prefer my area but it is looking more and more like I might have to order it online? Last question, do you have any suggestions on where to find the 2 inch Mesh panels. I tried Lowes and they had no clue what I was talking about. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
kpatrick925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #13
browndude3649
Tomatovillian™

3mil contractor bags work also. For hot luvin veges
browndude3649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #14
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatrick925 View Post
Couple of questions. I ordered 4 of the Pea fences from Gurney, will this complete 4 cages or more? Also, I'm having a hard time finding the Dolomite lime locally, any suggestions on where to find it? I would prefer my area but it is looking more and more like I might have to order it online? Last question, do you have any suggestions on where to find the 2 inch Mesh panels. I tried Lowes and they had no clue what I was talking about. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Dolomitic limestone is also called magnesium lime or high magnesium lime and is found with agricultural fertilizers as it and agricultural limestone are neutralizing agents for acid soils. So you may find it in a farm store in your area. Just not sure how much they will want to sell you, but I'd imagine 50 lb bags should be available.

Anyplace that deals with limestone or marble may also deal in dolomite. like quarries. However, if you cannot get dolomitic limstone then you can just buy crushed ag lime and use epsom salts to add magnesium, assuming you don't mind the added sulfur. The size of the lime grains has much to do with the TNV and ENV of the product, which is how quickly it neutralizes acidic soils.

As a tangent, here's a little digression on limestone as relates to building and grounds care of structures. More than I remembered about limestone until I read it.

http://www.stonebtb.com/news/Stone_K...Problems.shtml
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #15
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Default Coupon

Quote:
I just found a coupon for the same deal at Gurney's- works out even better since the starting price of the cages is less.

Do you mind if I ask where you found the coupon? I think I need to order more of the pea fences. That is a better deal then I got originally. Thanks in advance for your reply.
kpatrick925 is offline   Reply With Quote