Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 2, 2011   #1
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

Default Earthbox soil

Hi wonderful forum members ! Happy new season !

Hey guys ...I have 2 of the popular commercial " Earthbox's" from last year that I want to use.

what is the best potting soil/mix ect...that I can use...or need to use... ,,I know it needs to be a "wicking" type mix.

can the forum members please give some brands or I'm even open to home-made..( I have some nice homebrew compost)

please suggest a common mix that is easy to find? My Tomatos will thank you ! and they promise not to be camera shy... !

thanks in advance, the Aphid.

Last edited by Aphid; March 2, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #2
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

I want to add that I am an organic person when I can be , but I don't care if I can have a "not totally organic" tomato sandwich ...I'm not too picky.

please give soil advice..thank you

If you have a fertiliser that works for you please post that as well...!
I have some espoma garden-tone that I would like to use ...should I count on that?..it's more slow release ?
or perhaps the earthbox more effective with a" fast release" fert?..

Regards , the Aphid

Last edited by Aphid; March 2, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old March 2, 2011   #3
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I would not use the soil mix that they send. I tried it in the one EB that I bought and found their soil stayed saturated all the time and had a rotting smell. I also built earthtainers (Raybo posts the directions on here and there is a version 3 new for this year.) I ended up putting in the soil less mix recommended for the tainers in the box and it worked well. That recommended mix is 3 parts of something like Promix BX or some other soil less mix, 2 parts bark fines and 1 part perlite. This is a very fluffy mix that wicks the water up, but doesn't leave the roots sopping wet and unhappy. Good luck.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #4
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

thank you !

let me make sure I get this right.
3 parts soil-less mix
2 parts Bark Fines
1 part Perlite.

got it.

I'm not familiar with 'Bark Fines". Is this a finely ground version of bark mulch for landscaping ?or a specific product I might find at a home center?

If so is there a certain wood I need to avoid, like pine bark ?

thanks in advance Dewayne and everyone !

I got my boxes today ordered without the soil, but does include the Ferts, lime and covers.

I have 12 different variety of tomato sprouting today.. I'm feeling good about this
Old March 7, 2011   #5
eddie46
Tomatovillian™

I have used regular Miracle Grow for 5 years with no problems in 2 Earthboxes and 20 5gal self watering containers and an excellent harvast.
eddie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #6
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

Eddie thats good to know , I can find that anywhere !

I checked their website and they have about 14 different soils/mixes.
but I guess you mean the. plain ole potting mix.no additives

thanks for the tip !
Old March 7, 2011   #7
bdank
Tomatovillian™

I have 28 commercial earthboxes. In them I use Miracle grow potting mix. The mix not soil, and not the moisture control stuff, just the regular old potting mix. I use Tomato Tone for the fertilizer strip (3 cups). I also put 2 cups of lime in at the beginning of every season. If you check out the earthbox forum there are lots of good tips and tricks there.

Last edited by bdank; March 7, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
bdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #8
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

thanks bdank , I didn't stop to think earthbox had a forum, I'll go check it out.
The miracle grow is starting to sound like a winner for me.

plus I need to see how people are staking their tomato plants ,, we get some fierce winds here.
Old March 7, 2011   #9
bdank
Tomatovillian™

I had a bad experience with my earthboxes falling over last year because my staking system failed. I solved the problem by using electrical conduit for support. It was slipped over rebar that was pounded into the ground. Then I used zip ties to attach my cages to that. Sorry, I don't have any photos. If you do a search for staking on the earthbox forum will see photos of all the creative ideas people have come up with. http://forum.earthbox.com/
Old March 7, 2011   #10
eddie46
Tomatovillian™

Diddo Bdank

Premium Miracle Grow Mix
eddie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #11
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Aphid - you got it right on the 321. I used some big box store mix last year without moisture control and it was fine. I use pine bark for my bark fines. The local ace sells Jeremiah pine bark mulch it is about the right size. Don't want big chunky mulch, but a smaller finer bark that mixes in easily with the soil. Good luck whichever way you go.

Last edited by Dewayne mater; March 8, 2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: misspelling
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #12
bdank
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried putting the pine bark fines in my with my potting mix yet. My potting mix is on it's 3rd year of use. I might try adding some pine park fines next year as I imagine the mix has started to break down by now. I do add some new mix to the old and lime every year.
Old March 8, 2011   #13
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

It makes me fel good to hear others are using commercial potting mix. When I mention it on another forum, they shun me like i used a dirty word. They seem to think you should mix your own. Anyway, right now I am using potting mix (not the moisture one) with a little perlite mixed in. I will try mixing in the bark fines if I can find some. Will check Ace for them. FWIW, here in Colorado I kind of prefer Ace's potting mix, not so many big chunks.
KennyP
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #14
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

I've also had good success with Miracle Grow potting mix in my Earthboxes and home made Earthtainers. This year I bought a new bag and am using it to start seeds, and I've been getting a lot of little mushrooms coming up along side my tomato and pepper seedlings. I don't know if it's something to worry about or not. I've just been pulling the mushrooms out as I see them.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote